Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Lovbyts
3,647 Posts
Any luck so far? Everyone has covered about everything. I know how frustrating stuff like this can be, Ive had my car for 25 years and always seem to be chasing one bug or another but Im still happy with it most of the time (Knock on wood).

If you have no tried it I would suggest new coil packs. I had issues with mine for a long time and eventually found the coils were leaking and arching sometimes. I even had Accell coils on it for a while and went back to new stock and it seemed to fix a lot of problems.

Did you ever lower your spark plug gap? It did sound a bit wide.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Any luck so far? Everyone has covered about everything. I know how frustrating stuff like this can be, Ive had my car for 25 years and always seem to be chasing one bug or another but Im still happy with it most of the time (Knock on wood).

If you have no tried it I would suggest new coil packs. I had issues with mine for a long time and eventually found the coils were leaking and arching sometimes. I even had Accell coils on it for a while and went back to new stock and it seemed to fix a lot of problems.

Did you ever lower your spark plug gap? It did sound a bit wide.
Issue has not been corrected, seems to come and go as it pleases. Never all the way gone. I did find out that my engine builder reused head studs, so that is a contributing factor no doubt. I am down to it being a timing issue, Cam angle or crank angle sensor timing. The belts are in time and good, i had a trusted local shop go over everything. The owner has 5 3si’s himself, he thinks i should sue the builder and rebuild the entire thing. I have put so much time and money into this thing it is unreal, about at my wits end

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Issue has not been corrected, seems to come and go as it pleases. Never all the way gone. I did find out that my engine builder reused head studs, so that is a contributing factor no doubt. I am down to it being a timing issue, Cam angle or crank angle sensor timing. The belts are in time and good, i had a trusted local shop go over everything. The owner has 5 3si’s himself, he thinks i should sue the builder and rebuild the entire thing. I have put so much time and money into this thing it is unreal, about at my wits end
It has an entire new ignition system, ECU, PTU, COIL PACKS, plugs, wires, everything. No change in performance. Its not spark blowout because it happens under no boost. Revs to 7k no issue in nuetral. Knocks, bucks, stutters, whatever verbaige you want to use, but it drives horrible in gear. Sometimes.

·
Registered
524 Posts
it seems like a ptu issue i recall one member swapping several ptu/s that had the same issue with no results than he realized he was missing a bolt that holds the ptu bracket which resulted in a bad ground for the ptu he claimed that once he installed the missing bolt that his issues went away

·
Money pit owner.
2,821 Posts
it seems like a ptu issue i recall one member swapping several ptu/s that had the same issue with no results than he realized he was missing a bolt that holds the ptu bracket which resulted in a bad ground for the ptu he claimed that once he installed the missing bolt that his issues went away
interesting, good to know, thanks!

by the way, reusing the stock head bolts for our engine is common practice. service manual does not say they have to be replaced.

·
Lovbyts
3,647 Posts
interesting, good to know, thanks!

by the way, reusing the stock head bolts for our engine is common practice. service manual does not say they have to be replaced.
Yeah not like the BMWs.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts