Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Nice Bum
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 3000GT VR4, and for a while now, my car has been hesitating when you ask it for power. I was woundering if any one has any ideas. It started even before I began putting my performance goodies on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Are your turbos still spooling? Can u get past the "stumbling" ?
First thing I would check is my plugs/wires if i were you. Once your wires get dirty, they can't keep up w/ spark demand at higher revs. Just a thought - good luck.

.jon

·
Nice Bum
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i belive my turbo's are still spooling. My car seems ok power wise once I get above 4000rpm... but there is still that hesitataion. My wirers are pretty new (Magnicore) and so are my plugs. it is mainly a problem when driving around town.

·
That Others May Live
3,845 Posts
I 100% agree. I had hesitation problems after my J-Spec was put in. I asked the mechanic to put in NGK Platinums at .32 gap, and he said he did. Well when i finally took a look, my suspiscions were confirmed... they were Bosch plugs at .042!!!
With Magnecor 8.5 wires and NGKs @ .030 later, hesitation problem fixed!

·
Nice Bum
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well... I know that the right plugs were installed because I did it my self. I just don't understand it. I have taken it to mitsubishi like 20 times!!

·
That Others May Live
3,845 Posts
How long ago did you put the plugs in? At what gap? How long on the wires? Dont go to the dealership; they only wanna screw you over.

·
Nice Bum
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
honestly... it was like a year and im not not sure what the gap was. do you have any idea how to check w/out pulling all that shit off the top of the engine? I think I did the gap to mitsubishi specs.

·
That Others May Live
3,845 Posts
Just check the front 3 if you dont want to dig into it. If you installed them to Mitsu specs (.038-.044 gap), then that could definetely be your problem.

·
Nice Bum
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well... i'll try that. Im a little confuesed. why should you gap the plugs diferent
than the stock specs? Why would that alter my performance?

·
That Others May Live
3,845 Posts
Stock specs arent supposed to be able to handle higher boost, especially on crappy plugs. I guess if you ease up to the higher RPMs, it shouldnt hesitate if its your plugs. This is just my naive assumption.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts