Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
And it’s weird because it was running yesterday and the day before and I did not hear that noise once during idle it sounded really smooth and now this

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I want to continue my flush but I’m kinda scared to start the car knowing that noise will happen again, should I just do it anyway? Maybe it’s the radiator cleaner I put in there and it made some things loose?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I just posted the video on YouTube, but yea please let me know if y’all know what this could be! It’s wasn’t doing this before!
I thought I had heard every 3000gt noise, but that is a new one for me. Hopefully someone else has heard that noise. My guess would be it is something being pumped round or vibrating in your cooling system. Make sure you flush the system backwards. That way maybe whatever is rattling around might come out the way it came in. My second guess is something in your turbo air piping. Sounds like a paperclip being pumped around or a small nut. Hopefully you did not drop something in your piping. I would open it up and look around. Worst thing would be if it could get into your turbo blades. If possible disconnect the piping to the turbo and intake and suck out as many sections of piping as possible. If you can get the new noise removed, try videoing a rev. your engine for just a second or two to create the old noise again. Also, you should show us the exhaust smoke.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The only thing I could think of, is at times the small soft rubber ends around the plastic that sits over top of the oil pump water pump and timing belt. At times they dry rot and can fall off. Maybe when you were checking oil pressure you moved the plastic a bit and a piece fell into there. It's a stretch, but, nothing to lose by checking it out.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,090 Posts
For the noise, i would recommend a mechanic's stethescope (cheap at harbor freight) so you can press it against different parts of the engine (valve cover, heads, etc) and see if it sounds like the noise is internal or not.

Also, if that's your warm idle, its really high, you might have a vacuum leak, and/or idle is just not set right.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,090 Posts
No smoke from exhaust ? Should I have let it warm up more?
This video makes it sound much more like a 'squeak', so its possible its related to something driven by the belt... Someone can confirm, but perhaps you can just remove the accessory belt and briefly start it again to see if the sounds goes away?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
So I reversed flushed
This video makes it sound much more like a 'squeak', so its possible its related to something driven by the belt... Someone can confirm, but perhaps you can just remove the accessory belt and briefly start it again to see if the sounds goes away?
im going to take off the lower belt cover I think something may be stuck and hitting the belt because it sounds like it’s coming there. If that’s not it well Then I give up might just end up taking it to a shop to find out the issue then just fix it myself if

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I also think there’s a chance there could be something in the coolant piping too or maybe block, because I didn’t hear this noise at all until I put in the radiator flush and oil degreaser, maybe it loosened something and is just rattling around in there, i also didn’t do a 100 percent flush because half of the coolant sits in the block too and those block drains are a b to get to from what I heard so there could be something in the block rattling around. Would that be a possibility?

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,090 Posts
I also think there’s a chance there could be something in the coolant piping too or maybe block, because I didn’t hear this noise at all until I put in the radiator flush and oil degreaser, maybe it loosened something and is just rattling around in there, i also didn’t do a 100 percent flush because half of the coolant sits in the block too and those block drains are a b to get to from what I heard so there could be something in the block rattling around. Would that be a possibility?
I suppose you could always start it briefly with no coolant to find out? It could be the water pump itself also... Is the coolant circulating properly?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I suppose you could always start it briefly with no coolant to find out? It could be the water pump itself also... Is the coolant circulating properly?
How do I check? The pump is brand new but I forgot to replace the thermostat So I’m going to do that and see if that is the issue

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Damn I have to take of the engine mount to take off the lower belt cover!??? That’s going to be fun.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,090 Posts
How do I check? The pump is brand new but I forgot to replace the thermostat So I’m going to do that and see if that is the issue
With the car COLD, remove the radiator cap and start the car. You should see coolant flowing. This is also how you would "burp" the system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
So while I was taking everything out to get to the thermostat noticed my back engine mount main bolt is not even in all the way and it’s not even straight

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,090 Posts
Yup did that and it wasn’t flowing it was just sitting at the top
Did it start to flow as the car warmed up? After a minute of idling, did the radiator start to get warm or did the car overheat?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Did it start to flow as the car warmed up? After a minute of idling, did the radiator start to get warm or did the car overheat?
I didn’t let it idle long enough for the car to warm up but it defiantly will because there is only water in it right now distilled water I have coolant with me but I don’t wanna waste it knowing the car is already going to over heat

61 - 80 of 99 Posts