Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I own a 1991 3000gt vr4 i bought it about 5 years ago and it’s been sitting in my garage since, the owner I bought it from had it sitting for 8 years so it’s been sitting for over 13 years, anyways I’m trying to get her running. Compression is good and it also has spark, I got a whole new fuel pump with a sending unit and all the good stuff it starts with starting fluid and i hear the pump turning on When I put 12v to the power and to the battery but the car still won’t start! No fuel at the fuel rails either

·
Registered
413 Posts
Check the mfi relay. It the small gold box on the passenger side. It's by the shifter. You'll have to remove the carpet insert in the passenger side to get to it. When you turn the key you should hear it click. But, the best way to check it is with a multimeter. If you have the electrical manual it will walk you through it. Of, just do a search here for mfi relay

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the mfi relay. It the small gold box on the passenger side. It's by the shifter. You'll have to remove the carpet insert in the passenger side to get to it. When you turn the key you should hear it click. But, the best way to check it is with a multimeter. If you have the electrical manual it will walk you through it. Of, just do a search here for mfi relay
I had already looked into the mfi relay, it’s not there..... the last owner must of took it out to bypass it? Idk but it’s defiantly not there

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also tested the fuel pump wire that is under the wiper motor and that didn’t turn the pump on either

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found the mfi relay! It was where the ecu is which is weird and I hear a click and it’s from my ecu one click when I turn the key on and when click like 5 seconds after I turn it off, no click from my relay

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've seen it still click when it's malfunctioning. Check with a multimeter. You could also open up the ecu and check for leaking capacitors.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen it still click when it's malfunctioning. Check with a multimeter. You could also open up the ecu and check for leaking capacitors.
I found the problem! It was my fuel pump wiring, she ran for the first time in 15 years! There was a little fuel leak but easy fix, also I heard a pop or knock everytime I revved it near the back turbo or maybe under the plenum idk where it was coming from but maybe cuz it hasn’t ran in so long? I hope it doesn’t have a spun Bearing

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I found the problem! It was my fuel pump wiring, she ran for the first time in 15 years! There was a little fuel leak but easy fix, also I heard a pop or knock everytime I revved it near the back turbo or maybe under the plenum idk where it was coming from but maybe cuz it hasn’t ran in so long? I hope it doesn’t have a spun Bearing
Great job in finding the problem! Go easy on it. After 15 years the rings and lifters need to loosen up. Change your oil now that you know it runs, that could change a lot as well. Do a compression test after you run it a bit. If it has decent compression, you will need to do the 60k maintenance or possibly the 120k. Have fun.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great job in finding the problem! Go easy on it. After 15 years the rings and lifters need to loosen up. Change your oil now that you know it runs, that could change a lot as well. Do a compression test after you run it a bit. If it has decent compression, you will need to do the 60k maintenance or possibly the 120k. Have fun.
Thank you! And I will change the oil even tho it’s brand new but it has been sitting in the car for over 5 years, I also did the 120k maintenance on it 5 years ago I just didn’t have the time or money to continue the project. I will be changing. The oil tho i hear a pop or almost like a tick when I rev it to like 3k rpm it’s not a contsant pop it’s just once, I was think maybe my injectors but I’m not completely sure yet

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m also getting some smoke from my turbo but only after I turn the car off it’s coming from the front turbo and a little white smoke coming from the engine oil cap just a little it’s not thick or anything I’m thinking it’s just from not running for over 15 years?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Is it white or blue? Blue would be oil burning, white is typically fuel (but you'd probably smell it), or coolant. Coming from the turbo, check to make sure you don't have any leaking coolant that's burning when hitting the turbo exhaust. Thing can get damn hot!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it white or blue? Blue would be oil burning, white is typically fuel (but you'd probably smell it), or coolant. Coming from the turbo, check to make sure you don't have any leaking coolant that's burning when hitting the turbo exhaust. Thing can get damn hot!
It’s white smoke and for some reason my oil gauge isn’t working so now I don’t know if I have oil pressure and that is probably the probably the cause of the smoke if I don’t? I see the temp gauge going up but not oil gauge, my turbo gauge is working fine too

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It’s white smoke and for some reason my oil gauge isn’t working so now I don’t know if I have oil pressure and that is probably the probably the cause of the smoke if I don’t? I see the temp gauge going up but not oil gauge, my turbo gauge is working fine too
Your first 1/2 hour - hour of running you are likely to have oil blow by past the rings until they are seated. That smoke should be white/blue. I suspect that your rubber seals and belts likely would gotten a bit dry. Some coolant may have leaked where it should not. Your coolant seals may come back after pushing fluid around. I would take a long hard look at your timing belt for cracking and make sure there is tension. Five years ago, is not too terrible, but not great. Your oil pump should be fine and maybe the tensioner. Hopefully you blew out the fuel lines, if not replace your fuel filter and dump the rest of the gas.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Your first 1/2 hour - hour of running you are likely to have oil blow by past the rings until they are seated. That smoke should be white/blue. I suspect that your rubber seals and belts likely would gotten a bit dry. Some coolant may have leaked where it should not. Your coolant seals may come back after pushing fluid around. I would take a long hard look at your timing belt for cracking and make sure there is tension. Five years ago, is not too terrible, but not great. Your oil pump should be fine and maybe the tensioner. Hopefully you blew out the fuel lines, if not replace your fuel filter and dump the rest of the gas.
p1010009.jpg

Make sure the pressure gage did not get knocked off. That happens pretty often in our cars. The wire is in a bad location and just slips on to the sender.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so my engine knocks when I rev it just a little and it just one hard knock and I saw the car was over heating fast! I opened up the engine oil cap and it didn’t really look like oil was getting to the valves and the oil gauge was completely all the way down. I also only have tap water in the coolant for now until I clean the coolant system out, it shows there’s oil in the oil pan but no oil to the valves

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,097 Posts
so my engine knocks when I rev it just a little and it just one hard knock and I saw the car was over heating fast! I opened up the engine oil cap and it didn’t really look like oil was getting to the valves and the oil gauge was completely all the way down. I also only have tap water in the coolant for now until I clean the coolant system out, it shows there’s oil in the oil pan but no oil to the valves
I would stop running the car until you can verify oil pressure, especially if it looks like its not making it to the top end. You can always get a mechanical gauge and an adapter for the port in the block to confirm.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
You should see oil on the cam shaft. Everything should be shiny. Heat may indicate that your oil is NOT circulating also. Look at your oil pan to see if someone jacked the car up using the pan and crushed it against the pick-up tube. There should be a hemispherical shaped outward bulge on your oil pan. The other possibility is a blocked oil galley or two due to sludge build up. Water should work temporarily, but next time use distilled. Do not overheat the engine. You can find plenty of video's on youtube of spun bearings. Generally they don't knock as much until you give them gas. As the engine picks up RPM's everything rotates faster. If something is loose it hits harder.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I found a confirmed spun bearing video for you. Hopefully this is not what you hear. Unfortunately if you do, you will be joining a long list of other members who had the same problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I found a confirmed spun bearing video for you. Hopefully this is not what you hear. Unfortunately if you do, you will be joining a long list of other members who had the same problem.

It’s not that noise, It only knocks once when I rev it to like 3k rpm, and sometimes when it is starting up when I crank or right when it starts. It was leaking around the oil pan and I think it was mixed with oil and coolant because it was green but it wasn’t super oily. The oil pan looks fine btw I changed the oil 5 years ago when I did the 120k maintenance on it. So 5 years ago I bought this car from (mechanic) that has it sitting for for 8 years. He agreed to do all the work for the 120k service so I can get it running and drive it out his garage but after we did that it still wouldn’t run so I took it home and found out the fuel pump was toast, i cleaned the tank and got a new pump but it still wouldn’t start so I let it sit for another 5 years in my garage, A couple months ago I decided to finish it and get it running, I did a vaccum reduction egr block off plates, bov, new crank pulley which still needs to be tighten all the way new belts and the 120k, I just got it started 2 days ago and the longest It ran was for like 2 minutes before i turned it off. I have started it around 6-7 times has well since it started after the 6th time that’s when I noticed I had no fuel pressure and then that’s when I knew that’s is why is was heating up and getting no oil to the engine. I hope I didn’t ruin engine :(

1 - 20 of 99 Posts