Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I ran a 98 Red Cobra (in Tulsa), got him first time from 70 to 120 in fourth, then he slowed down and came up hard and I took it to third around 80 and smoked him hard to 120, then he really slowed down, came flying up so I hit third and even with him coming up that fast I took him and when I went to shift to fourth (yes I was still ahead) I missed the shift. I saw the tach... IT HIT 9,000RPM!!! No kidding. so the Cobra turned off and I came home, while sitting in my front yard I noticed my belts started making a little squeal! Turned off the car and went in and slept, came out this morning and turned it on and suddenly I heard a gentle knocking... shit!!! Well I let it run and gently reved it to 3,000RPM... it stopped... so I looked under the hood and found why... THE HARMONIC BALANCE CAME OFF!!! The main pulley that has two belts on it, looks like a harmonic balancer to me!!! So I looked at it and it looks fine, but I have a bolt with a square hole in the head, a washer and the balancer all sitting here and I don't know what order they go in!!! I threaded the bolt back into the appropriate hole and it isn't loose, so I suspect the 9,000 spin caused the belts to start the loosening process, either that or the guys that did my 60K service didn't put it on well (but after 10,000miles I doubt it!) so I am going to reinstall it, but I don't know how it goes, does it go bolt thru washer thru balancer into hole, or bolt balancer washer hole? PLEASE HELP!!! MY BABY IS JUST SITTING!!!!
Also if anyone has suggestions on front strut changes then I could use those since I will be doing mine in two days!!
Thanks guys,

Ryan
92 RT/TT

J

·
0 Posts
Geez.. sounds like the last person to remove that part didn't torque it properly. Wish I could help ya. Check the service manual if you have one. If not, you should get one. Very useful.

·
Curmudgeon
5,458 Posts
Bolt-washer-balancer-hole.
Torque to 130-137 ft./lbs.
If I remember correctly the balancer has an alignment pin in it. (I couldn't find it in the manual though)
Also, to torque the bolt down without spinning the motor I removed one of the front spark plugs and feed an old bootlace into the cylinder. That gently "jammed" the pistion in place untill I tightened the bolt.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
You will see either a small indentation in back of your balancer. On your crank gear you should have a small roll pin sticking out of gear- the roll pin needs to go into recess in the balancer. The pin may have sheared off in the gear so carefully check your gear for a small potrusion and get the stub out and install a new roll pin if required.
Hope this helps,
Steve

As far as changing your front struts make sure to mark what position your strut bolts are in before removing. One of the 2 on each side is a cam that positions your strut at different camber angles. You will see the index marks on bolt heads end mark which index mark lines up to pointer on strut. You'll see what I mean when you look at them.

[This message has been edited by SteveVR4 (edited January 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again!

Question, since I have now heard multiple stories from guys around here, am I screwed?? cause it seems that more than one person had their harmonic balancer fall off and their engine was broke from that second on... from what I can understand there is two ways that a harmonic balancer works, actual harmonic dampering, and then balancing, and I have been told that if my engine isn't screwed then we have really only a balancer and it don't do any harmonics... anyone know??

·
Curmudgeon
5,458 Posts
Seems like if anybody's got the answer it's YOU! Wack that bad boy back together and let us know!

Seriously, I doubt there's a good anwser for that. It's kind of unusual that the balancer fell off to begin with. If the engine's trashed it's kind of a chicken or the egg situation, did the engine crash because the balancer fell off or did something go very wrong in the engine causing the thing to snap loose? Given that you did over rev the engine, who can say?
There is rubber in the balancer, and that would lead me to think that it does do some dampening. But just to make things more confusing in these days of computer aided design they might have figured the dampening effect of the accesories into the equation, meaning that there could be more to it than just the balancer itself.
The bottom line is that you're not going to know until you put it back together and fire it up.

We'll keep our finger crossed for ya!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts