Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Must be coincidence. Just changed battery. Entered the codes for the radio. Started the car and now the water pump leaks like a sieve. Coolant just runs out while the engine's running, but stops when turned off. I had to drive it back from the store and the car ran like normal (power and temperature OK and no funny noises). It's only got 47K miles on it. What I'd like to know is:
What makes the water pump go out on these cars so soon?
I've heard to change water pump when doing timing belt. Does this go for the other way around? I don't have time to tackle this myself. Will I save money having the service center do a timing belt/tensioner change at same time (though I'm not at 60K yet)? I only have one authorized Mitsi service center in Tucson and don't trust what they will tell me. I trust you guys more. The manual says the timing belt or tensioner/pully should not get wet or they may need replaced. So it is already too late and I should do this now?
The big question: Since it seems to drive OK and whatever damage is already done - do you think I could drive it in to the service center without further harm or do I need to tow it? It's a good 15 mi away with many stop lights.
I'm assuming the water pump since it's leaking out right below it. Thanks all. Carey - 95VR4

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You definitely will want to do the timing belt at the same time as you have to remove it to replace the water pump. There should be no additional labor, just the extra parts.

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Don't drive the car while it is loosing coolant or you will risk running it hot and risk having to put headgaskets and/or heads on it. Aluminum engines do not respond well to high temps.
Just my advise,
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. Thanks. I'll see how much this is all gonna cost me tomorrow. Since it rode so well during the 15 min driving it home (maintained normal temp and all), I thought I could get by without towing it in.
Carey

·
Banned
10,938 Posts
A word of warning.

My minivan(the one with a mitsu 3.0l V6) had a leaking water pump, Dummy me I did not get it fixed asap
. It seised and caused the timing belt to break
. I am lucky the van was at idle I only had to replace the pump and the belt($700). I dont want to think about what would have happened to the engine if it happend while I was on the freeway. I am sure the same thing would cost double on a 3S car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're sure it's your water pump leaking, I would park it and have it towed. Since the pump is driven by the timing belt, a leaking pump might cause the belt to jump or skip a tooth or two (antifreeze is slippery stuff on rubber...). This would be a very bad thing at highway speeds. (In August my water pump seized, shredded the belt, bent valves, long, sad tale...) And yes, go ahead and get the timing belt done at the same time. Should only cost you for the extra parts. Tensioner and idler pulleys are highly advised and will be nominally more labor charge, since they've already got it all torn apart. Good luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Carey, here's a heads up on the cost. I've just had a mitsu dealer here in Dallas replace the water pump and timing belt. YMMV ....
<font face="Courier">
1 x Water pump ...................... $120.75
1 x Timing belt ..................... $165.93
4 x Oil seal (camshaft) @ $8.93/ea ..  $35.72
1 x Oil seal (crankshaft) ...........   $8.43
1 x Timing belt adjustor ............ $105.68
Antifreeze .......................... &nbsp$13.50
---------------------------------------------
Total parts ......................... $450.01
Sales tax & 8.25% ................... &nbsp$37.13
Labor ............................... $499.95
Hazardous waste disposal ............ &nbsp$20.00
---------------------------------------------
Total ...............................$1007.09
=============================================
</font>
OUCH!

[This message has been edited by grantm (edited December 06, 1999).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.
I just found out that the water pump is under the drivetrain warranty which I'm covered for until Feb. So now I have the problem of taking it to this new dealer that just started up 2 weeks ago and has no experience with these cars, or go with the experienced service place here, which used to do the warranty service, and then ask Mitsubishi for a reimbursement. I just faxed Mitsi on whether they will do that. I've heard too many horror stories here about bad timing belt jobs so I'll wait and see. Thanks everyone.
Carey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.