Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a 95 base 3kgt with a recently replaced auto tranny and short block (stock replacements under warranty, approx 8k mi. on each. Other mods as shown in sig). Im a college student so I won't have money till the summer, but I am looking for a good, cheap way to work out a TT conversion. You two gentleman seem to be the most experienced here so I figured Id ask you. Im also not too sure if it is possible to have the TT w/an auto, Im going to search for that right now actually. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

-Chris

P.S. I know its not a cheap process but, maybe with some rebuilt parts and whatnot, I can get something thrown together. I do not want something that is going to be unreliable though so I will pay what I have to.

edit -- I'm not an auto mechanic here so I will be needing the job done at one of your shops.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
farooqm, I know people have supercharged SOHCs with autos (maybe DOHCs too, not sure), so I figure you could run some amount of boost, its just a matter of how much.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i have a dohc....

with a knight turbos supercharger kit should be getting it back from the shop tommorrow, we're looking to run 6-9 pounds of boost with vr4 injectors, s-afc, denso fuel pump, kenne boost a pump kit and the hot wire kit for the fuel pump. should be interesting I have to update my mods profile also. probably post pics on the messsage board later on.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Wait till friday and I'll have my auto tranny TT conversion fired up :) it is possible but you need to do a mod the tranny too. High stall torque converter, shift kit, and end clutch kit, and tranny cooler. The TT conversion todate cost me about 6500 w/ a rebuilt block w/ new oversized forged pistons and mostly aftermarket and new parts. I'll be posting a complete parts list w/ part numbers for all the gaskets and bolts you'll need once I'm finished with my conversion. It should make it alot easier on people who want to do this in the future.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
How much did the engine work (internals & pulling engine) alone costed you kdog109sd?

BTW if anyone is going to make and host a FWD TT website, I'm willing to put up some design effort, due to some spare time coming up in december. That includes full guides to maximize performance from different modification levels.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The engine work I got done was:
Polishing Crank
Bore Cylinder
Honing
Hanging Pistons/Pins/Rings
Balancing
New Bearings
I also got my Heads rebuilt.

The engine work was around a $1000, and the Heads were $150 a piece.

I'm probably going to be making a webpage in flash... I need someone to host it? Do you have those capabilities? If not I'm sure I can just buy a .com and do it that way, no biggie.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
kdog109sd said:
The engine work I got done was:
Polishing Crank
Bore Cylinder
Honing
Hanging Pistons/Pins/Rings
Balancing
New Bearings
I also got my Heads rebuilt.

The engine work was around a $1000, and the Heads were $150 a piece.

I'm probably going to be making a webpage in flash... I need someone to host it? Do you have those capabilities? If not I'm sure I can just buy a .com and do it that way, no biggie.
My current host does not allow for parking extra domains in a different directory, so I can only provide free design help. I always wanted to build a FWD TT site that is modeled after TO4R.com's structure, but with a totally different look (their site get's a D grade in usability). I used to do web development for a living back in the dot com days.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
iceccool2: quick FYI.....no auto tranny with the full TT conversion.

I was thinking more along the lines of a custom TT setup on the NA engine, not a full engine swap w/turbos.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
ViperckGTS said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a custom TT setup on the NA engine, not a full engine swap w/turbos.

-Chris
You got to it before I reposted.....yes you can have an auto, but not with the full swap out. As I stated in the first post.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
are you guys saying that you can't have a TT engine on an auto tranny? if you are than I'll have to disagree with you because all the trannies are interchangable.... the only problem you'll have is controlling stuff w/ the ECU but I'm sure that can be worked out.

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
I would be more then willing to help you make an Automatic TT. I'm relocating to the northeast part of PA next week. I've got all the parts to do the conversion and we have the means of getting anything custom done. Hell, we put a stock stealth turbo on a chevy sprint :D. Just let me know when you wanna do this and we'll be more then happy to help you out. Our new place is over 2500 sq.ft. with 2 lifts so far.

·
-
6,794 Posts
ViperckGTS said:

-Chris

You got to it before I reposted.....yes you can have an auto, but not with the full swap out. As I stated in the first post.

are you guys saying that you can't have a TT engine on an auto tranny? if you are than I'll have to disagree with you because all the trannies are interchangable.... the only problem you'll have is controlling stuff w/ the ECU but I'm sure that can be worked out.
You guys got a little confused. I think what he was saying originally was that there is currently no automatic car that has done a TT conversion yet. Yes you can do it, I was thinking about doing it myself for quite a while.

When someone said no you can'd do the complete swap out did you mean the AWD? As for the turbos themselves, yes you can do the complete swap. As for an AWD automatic, you really could do that too. In Japan they made a model of the GTO that was available with AWD and no turbos, and that model was available in an automatic. You can take that AWD automatic tranny and swap it with the manual in a U.S. VR-4 or R/T TT. Mitsu made a couple automatic VR-4's from the factory for mitsu executives to drive.

Another thing to worry about with the auto TT is traction. I think Mikes95R/T did the TT swap on his automatic, fired it up, spinned the tires through the first few gears, and then did a manual tranny swap. :D You will definitely need a limited slip differential. There is one avalibable for the automatic, there was a thread on it just a little while ago...... Come to think about it I guess Mike HAS had a complete TT swap on an automatic, it just didn't stay that way for long.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.