Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i am in desperate need of some help here guys. I have a '95 base 3000GT with the stock HU and the CD changer in the trunk as well. I was wondering what the downfalls of tapping into the speaker leads are. I have 2 Audiobahn 10s and a Rockford 250 punch amp. I will definitely be getting a HU in the near future, but I would like to have a system in the meantime. Can this be harmful to the system itself, and what is the SQ loss in rigging it his way? Many thanks for your replies, and any help is always appreciated.

-Chris

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nm...bought a HU [nt]

nt

·
Registered
2 Posts
ViperckGTS, this will not harm anything by running an amp through you factory HU. You won't get quite as much bass ass with an aftermarket radio because the factory head unit has about a .5 volt output, whereas an aftermarket can have anywhere from 2 to 18.(Trust me I sell this stuff for a living)
So you still will get some bumpin' decent bass and it wont hurt nothin'

·
Registered
287 Posts
stock H.U output voltage?

What do you mean the stock H.U has .5 volt output? I dont believe the stock head unit has any preout voltage. You need to use a speaker to line convertor and the amount of voltage depends on that.

Alpine,

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Infinity system has a proprietary pre-out (the din connector to the external amp) that I've been told is about 0.5 V. But I don't think this applies to the original question which is about tapping into the speaker wires (which I doubt are 0.5V) to hook up a sub. Like Apline said, you need a line converter or an amp with speaker level inputs to do this. It works fine and doesn't hurt anything but the sound quality just isn't as good as hooking it up to a deck with pre-outs.

In my experience, the main drawback is that you still have all the bass going to the full range speakers as well as the sub. I guess it's not that big a deal if you listen to music with a lot of really deep bass (like rap) and you just want to crank up the sub amp. But if you listen to rock or something like that and want to clean up the bass at louder volume, then adding the sub this way doesn't do you a lot of good because you still get a lot of distortion and vibration from the full range speakers (this was my experience).

It's a pretty simple and cost effective solution that might be worth while depending on what you hope to accomplish. You will notice a big difference though when you add a new head unit and full crossovers on the sub and the full range speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts