Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I noticed a howl from the front of the car at high speeds, as I've been looking into that noise another one started that has me worried. Now when I drive and let off the gas, there is a loud whine that changes with the cars speed. Sounds like it could be gears but the fluids are good. Brakes don't change it, steering doesn't change it, only when I accelerate I don't hear it.

Don't know I'd it could be a bearing or what.

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,629 Posts
What year / model car
Auto / manual trans ?

Number of things could cause this issue your having need a bit more info on car
For components on the model
Wheel bearings / torque converter / pulleys / carrier bearings / turbos / anything that rotates etc....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year / model car
Auto / manual trans ?

Number of things could cause this issue your having need a bit more info on car
For components on the model
Wheel bearings / torque converter / pulleys / carrier bearings / turbos / anything that rotates etc....
91 VR4 manual. The sound is consistent with the speed of the car and not the engine so I'm wondering if it's the transfer case since the transaxle fluid was replaced without any issues

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,629 Posts
Rpms bouncing ?
While driving
If the sound gets louder while driving this could be drive trane noise your hearing

I've had a bad wheel bearing that didn't make any noise as it was indeed pretty bad dragging drifting feeling pulling like alignment was off that was all I felt I didn't hear any noise from it what so ever

If you had your diff fluid changed this might be the cause of the noise to where gears are making noise and or splines are

Might need to take it to a shop to where the vehicle can be lifted supported with all 4 tires off the ground crunk up and ran in 2nd or 3rd gear this might narrow it down diagnosing exactly where the noise is coming from

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Could this noise also be described as a "hoot"? Does it get the loudest when you are at highway speeds and little to no throttle input? If so it's your stock BOV leaking, and it's an extremely common problem. A quick work around is to install the BOV backwards, but eventually it'll fail completely.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be able to get it in the air sometime this week and check while at highway speeds. It sounds like drivetrain because there is no issue at all with the engine and rpms.

I will check the bov as well because it's a knockoff turbo xs I bought in 2013 for my other GT.

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,629 Posts
I will be able to get it in the air sometime this week and check while at highway speeds. It sounds like drivetrain because there is no issue at all with the engine and rpms.

I will check the bov as well because it's a knockoff turbo xs I bought in 2013 for my other GT.
Now with a knock off BOV
It could be hanging open under boost load

I can go "Vroom Vroom", and "pssssshhht". Let me know when you're going to go out driving.
j/k

This is the one I'm running
Some won't know what they are looking at for the goofy attachment
Greddy type FV bov
But it sounds like a bald eaglet lol "eaglet" lol

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,629 Posts
I'll have to make a vid clip of it it's really not that bad just before It closes give the turbo whistle Greddy BOV sounds the same as its supposed to
This BOV has double springs both front and back to help keep the valve closed under load works very nicely
It has bout 1/8 inch clearance all the way around it so it's not shoved in there capping it off
What happens when you get bored I guess
More of a retarded conversation piece lol

·
Registered
Panama Green,mostly stock with 13G's, Oohnoo SMIC, money pit
207 Posts
So... I re-read this thread a few times. I am a scared-y cat with certain things and that TC is one of them. "howl" & "whine" . Those words sure make me think its a gearbox type of sound.

Post # 3 P_C doesn't tell us when the TC was last checked...
P

·
Registered
965 Posts
Could this noise also be described as a "hoot"? Does it get the loudest when you are at highway speeds and little to no throttle input? If so it's your stock BOV leaking, and it's an extremely common problem. A quick work around is to install the BOV backwards, but eventually it'll fail completely.
I can attest to that. I thought I had something wrong in the trans when mine went bad. It's more of a howl above 50 mph when they leak like what OP is describing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts