Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP! KNOCK found when logging for the first time!!

I got my pocketlogger set up in my car and took a cruise to school (20 miles away) I started logging and everything was going very well, I could take the car up to redline at a peak boost of between .97 and 1.04 bar (around 14.5 to 15psi) My fuel upgrade that is installed is a Walbro 255lph fuel pump hotwired. The injectors and fuel controller I haven't installed yet. I can't attach the log since I'm at school, but here's the problem:

when I take the car up to redline in any gear except 5th I get 0 knock at all, but when I'm in 5th gear going around 60mph and floor it knock starts showing up quickly. I had to let off once because I got a knock count of 12 at 2062 rpms. This doesn't make sense! does it??? is this real knock? fake knock? I always thought that if knock would show it would do it at high rpm runs...but this only shows up when using high boost at low rpms. I don't think I'm getting more than 11 psi or so before knock shows up in 5th gear...its weird and has me worried. What's wrong? anything? Thanks a lot!

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
Higher gears make the engine work harder (heavier load) because of the reduced mechanical advantage of the gear selection. Heavier load means increased chances for detonation.

Solution: accelerate in a lower gear. :) Fifth is like, what, double overdrive?

·
Mod O' Day Pron
4,021 Posts
Why are you flooring it in 5th gear? That's a cruizing gear. Chris might be better at analizing this one. I would think if it were fake/false knock, it would be around 3 or 4 count. PM him...

Sean

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Thats normal. Your engine is REALLY "lugging" to try to move the car in 5th at 2000RPM. Really you only car about 1-2-3. YOu can go through the traps at 115 mph or more in third! 4 and 5 are for highway cruising only. In fact, if you are getting 0 knock in third that is OUTSTANDING and you can probably lean it out a little or run a little more boost.

My car when tuned well I get a few knock counts in 2nd, quite a bit in third, sometimes double digits. This is not ideal, but as long as the knock count is single digits or so its nothing to worry about.

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a lot guys

thanks a lot guys, I'll keep it in mind. I appreciate the help. Today I'll beat her from 0 to 120 and see what kind of logs I get....I'm still running stock turbos but am getting no knock at 1 bar.

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jim-

and Jim, you ought to inject propane to fight off that knock, you could run that same boost and probably get 0 knock sums...maybe even 4 to 5 more pounds of boost out of those 15gs...I want you to try that propane setup DR has so when i buy you can help me tune it:p

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
single digit or even 10-15 knock sum in third is nothing to worry about. Its not ideal, but I have 110,000 on mine with no problems. As long as it doesn't get severe enough to pull timing, your alright.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.