Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im requesting opinions that I hope will help me decide on a potential turbo puchase i will make in a few days..

I found a gentleman wanting to sell 368 turbos that have 3000 miles on them and they seem to have some racing under those 3k miles. I also have a very reliable source who checked them out for me and says they are in fine shape. As i understand it the guy ported and clipped the pair of turbos and polished the housings and powder coated some other parts of the set.. That alone was probably a few bucks..

As i understand it new 368's go for 3249.00 on gtpros site.. I was offered 2800.00 to purchase them, and trying to make a decision if this is a good buy for me. this is a turbo i would want in my ultimate goal in the future however for 450 bucks more ontop of the 2800 i could get a new set. Requesting opinions to help me decide..

If i don't end up buying, i will with the permission of the seller refer other potential buyers to them....but for now i got first dibs..

Any people with 368 experience , replys on any aspect of owning/installing and mostly 'playing' :) with these are appreciated.. Basically looking for opinions on pros and cons of the 368's..

Thanks..
Mark.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
My personal opinon would be to just purchase brand new ones, if the ones he is selling are only $450 less. Doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
however, it seems that since they are ported and clipped, polished housings, and powder coated, this is i think about $2k itself...... so around 5k turbos for 2800...

for that 450 more, i just get unclipped and unported.

·
Native
3,894 Posts
Ported and clipped is nice. I would not want polished housings on my turbos as that decreases the surface area exposed to the ambient air in the engine bay and can keep them hotter for longer. I got my 13Gs for $800, which is almost half of what they go for new, after selling my 9b's for $380 it made my total cost $420. Not bad if ya ask me. Would you be selling your original turbos, cause if so you should factor that into the price. If I was you I would hold out for a better deal than that, or just buy new. As you seem to imply, it's not enough money off for you to want to buy used, so just buy new.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is true. I see what you're getting at.

argh.. this is a hard decision.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
other detail is that my 92 tt isn't set up at all for these turbos. I don't have a single fuel modification. I was going to probably get a fuel pump if i purchased the turbos, however I wouldn't have arc, or injectors yet.... i was just going to jump at the cheaper opportunity, maybe not even put them in right away, or maybe put them in, and sell the 9b's, but just run the 368's at 12 or lower psi as a normal driver car until i can put the right fuel requirements in.

at this point im just thinking if its worth to wait it out to get brand new. but like i said i was informed that about 5k$ was put into the turbos clip/port/polish/coatpowder, etc... maybe its a good deal after all.

Anyone else have suggestion, im completely open to it.

·
2,243 Posts
I think it sounds like a pretty good deal. I would do it if I had the extra cash and a tranny that was working.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The compressor housings are polished and the exhaust housings are jet hot coated. They actually have less than 3000 miles and only about 20 1/4 mile passes on them.:)

·
1,568 Posts
I would not chance 12psi on 368s without fuel mods. Ok or a litter higher with 13G, DR500, or GT347. In addition, clipping turbos will increase the lag and increase the boost potential of the turbos into the higher RPM range. Your car will not be able to take advantage of this without other mods. I do not know what your ultimate goal is, but if you decide to get the 368s, I would hold off on the install until you have the other mods to support them.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats what im saying.... i have no use for them at the moment, as Im not even driving the car at the moment as winter is coming and the car is in the body shop getting fully restored body and paint... sooo... i won't install the turbos until maybe spring.. im just wondering if for that price is worth the wait and what im getting in relation to new turbos, however again they are ported, cliped, polished, and coated and that costs a nice penny..
I was just informed that the car that these were installed in was taken to the track 3 times... so they can't be in that bad of shape ......

as for installing the turbos right away, if i did, I would only want to set the car to be able to drive it normally, maybe less boost than stock if needed. as the car won't be driven daily ANYWAY!

just weighing the opportunity and situation and price....

·
1,568 Posts
black95rttt posted he lost a piston on his last outing. If the turbo on that bank was not damaged and 368 turbos are what you were planning on, then go for it. From what I can deduce from reading this forum, black95rttt only buys high quality shiiit!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
368's arn't high quaility shit? hehe

only 25g's are high quality shit? haha

what are 368's anyway? are they close to 20g?

·
1,568 Posts
:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you look confused? or those smileys do :)

I was ascertaining why the comment that 368's are shit!
my last comment was that he is obviously going to a much bigger Turbo. I hear one of our tuners will have huge turbo sets available soon. not cheap tho :(

question is, how fast do you want to go without ripping apart the car alltogether completely :)

·
1,568 Posts
I am confused. The High Quality Shiit remark was in a good sense not negative (slang). Then your last post implied 368s were way too small a turbo. Not sure what you want?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sorry.. guess we're both confused.

My point of bring this thread to existence was to get as much information and opinions as possible. Im taking it all in seriously as im deciding whether or not to buy them. when you said 'shit' i didn't get the sarcasm. :)... I was actually thinking you had experience with them or something and really did think they were shit. Thats the info I was lookin for! im glad you cleared that up for me..

i don't think 368's are small turbos. I was just assuming that since he maybe got rid of the 368's, he was going to something much larger.. i mean i wouldn't go smaller :)

thanks.

·
Beach Bum
1,724 Posts
I can vouch for Terry and state that nothing but the best has been done to his car. I wouldn't hesitate buying anything from him. 368's are a hybrid turbo using a Garrett T3 "60" Trim compressor wheel and a TE04H turbine wheel in bored a TD04 housing. The wheel on the compressor side is comparable to a 20g sized wheel. But with a smaller exhaust section, spool is much faster. That said, unless you plan to drop a good $20g's into your car, 368's might be overkill for you. It requires an extensive mod list to even reach the potential of these turbos. You will also need to modify your oil lines, water lines, and the front stabilizer mount.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Fierce said:
368's are a hybrid turbo using a Garrett T3 "60" Trim compressor wheel and a TE04H turbine wheel in bored a TD04 housing. The wheel on the compressor side is comparable to a 20g sized wheel.
Comparable to a 20G? More like a small 16G if you ask me...

Trim: "60"
Inducer: 1.830"
Exducer: 2.367"

Small 16G
Trim: "60"
Inducer: 1.830"
Exducer: 2.365"

1 - 20 of 73 Posts