Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Getrag Rebuilder
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Woke up this morning and walked out side to find my left rear tire nearly 100% flat!! This is my first real problem that I have had with the car in the year that I have owned it, definetly caught me off gaurd. Anyway, I just got done pumping it back up to 29 - 30 psi and wanted to ask you guys some questions about this, since I've never had a flat before. First off, If I had hit something that punctured my tire would I of heard any unusual noises or is it possiable that it could have been punctured without any noises? Next question, could this have happend as a result of the colder tempatures outside? Lastly, if I do have a slow leak, are there any tricks to help identify where it is located? I Already visualy inspected the whole tire and everything seems a ok......any advice would be greatly appricated as I need to take the car into a bad part of town tonight...don't need to have a flat!
Thanks guys,
--Steve

G

·
0 Posts
Cold weather wouldn't do it - there's not that much loss of pressure just due to the cold.

The first place to check is around the valve stem, if there's nothing else obvious.

One good way to check is to brush some soapy water all over the tire and look for bubbles. Also look around the edge of the tire where it's seated on the rim. If that fails to show anything, take the tire off and submerge it in water and look for bubbles. While you're at it, just go ahead and wash the whole thing inside and out for appearance sake.

If you don't want to do any of this yourself, take the car to a tire shop. They will do essentially the same thing for $10 or so, and they are the ones that get dirty, not you!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Your rims may be corroding where its seals against the tire. I had this problem with my Celica, which had alloy wheels. The tire shop told be the corrosion occurs gradually but when the cold weather comes the leak occurs. The shop removed the corrosion with a wire-wheel applied a bead sealer on the rim.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts