Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my car up from doing an engine swap and put the hood on and the wheels and lowered it back down and tried to start it. The thing frickin lurches forward, almost like the starter is trying to move the car!!! I also can not get the car out of gear......... I put a new clutch on, but is there any way I could have screwed up the clutch install? Please help!!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
check to see if you aligned and adjusted the clutch right. See if you put fluid in it. See if the line needs to be bleed (sp). See if the master/slave cylinder in worn out and needs to be replaced. I would check out the easy stuff before I got too worried. It sounds like you just left out a step to me. Double check yourself is a good rule to follow on mechanicing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sounds like tranny stuck ,maybe linkage jammed in gear,try to disconnect linkage to get it in nuetral and see if it starts .check all the linkage you had to move around for the job you originally did:: :)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
you need clutch fluid....i had the same problem except i have a master clutch cylinder leak and i need to fill it up every now and then until i replace it...and when its bone dry...right when you start it up the car will start pulling...it happened to me already...hope this is what is truly wrong

·
Registered
6 Posts
One other thing may be the problem. I installed a new clutch and found that the new disk is slightly rough and wouldn't clear when it was disengauged. I managed to get the car to move and force the car in gear and then ran it hard shifting it and reving the engine with the clutch in to smothen out the surfaces. It curred the problem.. Extra bleeding of the system is also a good start.

Was it a "cheap" clutch replacement??

·
Registered
434 Posts
ddonzella said:
One other thing may be the problem. I installed a new clutch and found that the new disk is slightly rough and wouldn't clear when it was disengauged. I managed to get the car to move and force the car in gear and then ran it hard shifting it and reving the engine with the clutch in to smothen out the surfaces. It curred the problem.. Extra bleeding of the system is also a good start.

Was it a "cheap" clutch replacement??
ddonzella,
Did you break in the clutch?? That could be the problem for you.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I will take that as a no.
When you got into your car you couldn't drive it for crap could you? If so you need to break it in. It is said to always break one in and that take about 300 miles or so they say. You have to do a lot of city driving to wear down the surfaces so they will slip adn will form to each other. Just drive and drive one day around where you live and shift the hell out of it. I don't mean to hot rod it by any means but just to shift it. You have to get it to start sliping and not just grabing so damn hard. It will take a while but you will be able to tell when you have broke it in. Don't worry you will look like an ass for a while who is just learning how to drive. Did you check the fluids also adn did you bleed the system? If not you need to do so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts