Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was aout in Buffalo Sunday night and purchased a Sony CD deck from Best Buy. Installed it quickly since I needed to get home before 9:00pm. I get the deck in and turn on the car, deck works perfectly. (Very awesome looking deck imho but thats not the point of this thread. ) Anyways I start to drive home and when I go to turn on the head lights the interior dash isnt lit up!!
So I had to drive home without being able to see my speed very well. When I get home I inspect for other problems and I cannot get the roaming lights on either. When driving with the head lights on the back brake lights dont come on. Has anyone experienced this? I need some assistance on how to fix these problems asap. Thanks in advance,
Eric

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Check the fuses?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Check the fuses? Sounds like you either have a blown fuse for the running light circuit or you removed it and forgot to reinstall it. Your front lights probably aren't working either, are they? Just your headlights?

·
Currently Boost-less
480 Posts
Sounds like you blew a fuse.

Did you connect the ground wire of the head unit to a wire or to the console frame?

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
Check the fuse in the big fuse box under the hood.. It's in there.. I can't remember which one it is but I'm pretty sure it's a 15 amp fuse.. one of the blue ones. When I had my EGT gauge wired into the light dimmer, I was blowing it constantly. Turns out, the wire I hooked up to the dimmer switch somehow had both a positive current and a negative ground going through it, and it kept blowing my fuse out..

Did they wire the head unit into the dimmer for some reason? like, to change the lighting of it when the lights are turned on?? That'd be my first guess..

·
Currently Boost-less
480 Posts
Sorry - I'm used to the real-time of the chatroom :eek:

That's why I asked about the ground above ;) There is an illumination wire in the harness that appears to be a ground until the parking lights are turned on, then it raises to anywhere between a couple of volts up to 10V depending on the illumination knob setting. If that is used as a ground you'll blow a fuse every time.

I found this out the hard way the first day I worked for a car stereo installer 12 years ago ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotta love 3si members!!!

Thanks guys you have been great help. You are all correct. Yes it was a fuse, we were checking the wrong fuse box (under drivers side) instead of the hood. We accidentally connected the illumination wire and the dimer wire, which blew the fuse. The even better thing about this is John M was right about the illumination wire working to light my parking lights with my alarm. We managed to fix my alarm now to light the p-lights when locking and unlocking the doors. Thanks again guys.:cool:

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
I hate ... HATE you all.

Do you know how many times I have asked this same question and no one has known crap?!!?!?!

I have just pulled EVERY gauge, light and wire trying to track down my short. The fact that my dimmer wire from the radio could be the problem was never even considered.

I hate you all and I hope you choke on chicken bones ;)

Seriously though, I have kept replacing the fuse, but my dash lights still won't light, I need to pull the radio then and reinstall without the dimmer wire and they will work again? Or could I have really screwed them up?

·
Currently Boost-less
480 Posts
Heh....*makes mental note to not eat chicken for a while* :D

Yeah, you probably ought to try that and see what happens. I'm not sure why it would be popping the fuse, though, unless there may be something wrong with the radio :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts