Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago my car (92 vr4) died. I was driving around and I starting to hear a squeeking noise that would go on and off 2 or 3 times a second. When I first heard it, I knew it wasn't good. I looked under the hood, but I couldn't see anything wrong. I decided that the best thing to do would be to go home. While driving home the squeeking noise persisted and it eventually got worse. It started to sound like a belt or something was rubbing. I also noticed that when I turned big or hard I wasn't getting any power assistance. I know this because it felt harder than normal and also because I drive another car that has manual steering, so I know what it feels like. Then the noise got really bad and I pulled into a gas station and turned off the car. I waited a few minutes, turned it back on, and the engine sounded like it was running really bad, so I turned it off immediatly. I opened up the hood again and noticed that power steering fluid was everywhere! I had the car towed home and I haven't really looked at it since then. I've been both lazy and afraid of what I might find.

So, what can you guys come up with. I think that the hose broke, causing me to lose the power steering. But why did the hose break? And what was that squeking noise? Maybe a pulley is to blame for the entire problem? Maybe a pulley broke or came lose, causing the power steeing belt to become lose or come off, and some how broke the hose, letting the power steering fluid run everywhere? And where does my engine sounding really bad fit into this?

I'm going to lift up the car tomorrow in the afternoon so I can actually see any possible damage. Until then, what do you guys have to say? Any advice or comments would be helpful.

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
I'm just hypothosizing (sp?) here. Possible the hose broke and wasn't feeding the power steering fluid, that in turn made the power steering pump harder to turn at the belt causing resistance which in turn caused strain on the engine?

Just a guess as I am still not very familar with the 3KGT engines yet.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TTT

TTT

·
Why does everyone argue?
1,302 Posts
That sounds like your Power steering pump died... you best way is this: first, remove the Power Steering belt, (i cant remember, you may have to remove the main belt first to get this one off.) after is off, try to turn the pump...does it feel damaged when you turn it? is should turn smooth. is this is the problem, just clean everything up, change your pump, and change the 2 drive belts. thats it. if thats not the problem, you will most likely find a leak somewhere that is causing fluid to be sprayed on the belts, cuasing them to slip terribly, and make some crazy noises. let me know what you find...

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help.

Does anyone have a diagram of the power steering belts and pump so I know what to look for? I checked stealth316.com, but couldn't find anything.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, after putting it off for a while, I finally checked out the power steering problem. I still can't figure out where the leak is coming from. I tried turning on the car. It started up fine, but then a grinding and hissing noise started coem from the whole power steering pump/pulley area. Now my guess is that the pulley broke from just being old, causing my power steering pump to break and spill the oil everywhere. As for the noise that was made when I started it up, it was either the broken pulley trying to move with the belt, or the power steering oil pump(if it is still working) trying to suck up oil witht he oil resevoir low on oil. Anyone else have any thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts