Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just informed that my front exhaust manifold is cracked. I am running 13G turbos, so should I:

a. Just get the crack welded
b. get a set of aftermarket exhaust headers

if b who makes them and appox how much?

·
Registered
61 Posts
tazracing said:
I was just informed that my front exhaust manifold is cracked. I am running 13G turbos, so should I:

a. Just get the crack welded
b. get a set of aftermarket exhaust headers

if b who makes them and appox how much?
I would not go with option A. Most exhaust manifolds are cast iron (I don't see any reason our's wouldn't be as well but I'm not sure). Cast Iron doesn't weld very well and will really only stem the problem until other cracks develop from the difference in heat stress. I'd get a new manifold (stock, or aftermarket).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point, thanks for the advice. I'm trying to find an after market, but so far the only ones I've been able to find are for non-standard housings.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
The front exhaust manifold is welded steel and the rear is cast iron. I'd simply weld you front bank manifold as a cheap and quick fix.

If you want better security against it occuring again, buy a new OEM piece or even a non-cracked used one. It is pretty rare for them to crack, are you running lean under high boost? or even excessivly rich? The hardest thing on an exhaust manifold is high temps (just like everything else).

IMP used to sell some low quality headers for TD04 turbos but long since stopped. GT Pro has more recently made at least one set (for Jose Sonario's car) for a pair of TD04 turbos (368's). You can expect to pay well over $1,000 for a pair of headers. Maybe DN Performance could make some TD04 headers upon request.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it's the front one on the welded seam.
Yes, it has been running excessivly rich
Yes, DN is currently developing one, but it won't be ready for quite some time.
Car is currently at AAM, where Mike recommended re-welding it. I talked to Brian at GT-Pro and he concurred. So I guess that's what we are going to do. Mike tells me we have solve the rich fuel problem, so this should hold me until DN's product is ready.

Thanks everyone!:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
There aren't really any aftermarket exhaust manifolds (headers) on the market because testing has shown that you can't beat an extrude honed stock exhaust manifold. I suggest having a shop extrude hone it for you for greater performance. Of course, when you go to larger turbos, rebuilt engine, etc., then a custom designed exhaust manifold becomes more beneficial.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts