Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I know one or two of you guys had this same problem. Let me explain what happened...I was racing my friend's C5 and at one point I just dropped the clutch at about 4rpm (very bad launch, anyway) and then when I get to the highway I realized that the oil pressure gauge was zero (all the way down) and does not move at all when I accelerate. What did I do? I'll be checking the compression this weekend but can somebody provide me with a quick-fix on this one like a blown out fuse? I really don't want to take out the whole dash to check the resistance on the two poles behind the gauge. Please help!!!! I already pulled the battery to see if this resets the condition. In addition to that, I looked at the repair manual and found no oil pressure sensor!!! I only found the boost gauge and how it's hooked up, but no oil pressure gauge!!! Please help...you can reply back or e-mail me at [email protected] I really appreciate you guys helping me out cuz I don't like the fact that one of the cool gauges that makes my car cool fuck up...thanks in advance!!! fastmatt? roger? Brian? Mario? Mike91TT? anybody??? thanks!

BTW, for those who don't know me I drive a 96 VR4 with atr catback, super AFC2, evc ez, aftermarket boost gauge, volt meter, a/f ratio, centerforce, K&N. Help me out will you? this problem just happened tonite!

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Hope you have the same problem I had. I had to get under my car and hook it back up last night. It comes off really easy. I am surprised it has not happed to me before. It is located on the drivers side by the front pulley above the rack. It is only one wire and I would bet that is what happened to you to. Just clip it back on, funky setup. Please let me know if that was the problem.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes Paul that also happen to me, the plug just clips on the sensor and can come off, the reading on my gauge was zero. It scared me as well fastboy
, check in the front where Paul states. You should be able to just lay under the front of the car (with car off and parking brake on) and plug in back on. Just follow up along your oil pan and look for a loose wire hanging. More than likely that's what happen, but still check your oil level.

Mario

[This message has been edited by VR-4 Tissimo (edited December 30, 1999).]

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you very much for your help Paul.H and VR-4Tissimo....ill go rite ahead and do it... thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Dave,

Those guys are right. There are 2 sensors down there. One for the gauge and one for the idiot light. If your light did not come on I doubt that you had a problem other than the wire. The sensor for the gauge is the larger "cannister-looking" one. You may need to do what I did and shim the clip that attaches to the sensor. Mine was so loose that it would just flop off. I put a small piece of plastic behind the electrode part of the clip to make it a tighter fit.

Hope this helps,

Dan

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I just want to second what all the other friends told. I had the same problem on my car as the mechanic did not plugged the cable fully back in. It came off after a hard launch and scared the hell out of me.

Now the oil-idiot light comes up when the level is just at the top mark. It always happens after about 3 minutes asfter starting up and especially in fast left turns. We replaced the switch three times and the problem always came back after two weeks or so ... damn stupid !

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dan,
thanks for your help! but can you provide me with more detail as to where the wire (plug) is? I am a little puzzled. I guess I'll have to look underneath tomorrow after getting work early hehehehe...thanks dan! I'll call you from work to chat with lordDVD. BTW, I was sort of toying with him in Queens and [email protected] !!! we were both on second gear and my bro was on his car...so we slammed it and I couldn't catch up!!!! I was pumping 1.02 bar and he as 1.03 bar with his alcohol kit...my bro said that he felt all four tires lose traction...!!!! shit I need to ride and drive his car heheheh...

Roger,

Thanks for you advice as well!!! If you do decide to drop by NYC for the big 2000 party in times square I'll be MORE than happy to pick u up and give u a tour on my car hehehhe. take care and happy new year! and that' s for everybody here!

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Well, did it fix you problem?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
paul,
I got underneath the car just now but don't see any wire? just very large hoses that run to the engine...where exactly is it? I couldn't see the rear of the oil pan...but from the front (when facing engine) I saw no wires running to the side or front of the oil pan...I am looking at underneath from my staircase that goes to hthe basement ( my car is parked in a garage that has a staircase on the floor of the garage)...I'll go move the car alittle forward to see if that plug is right behind the oil pan...can you e-mail me your home # or some # where I can reach you at? I really need to speak to somebody about this quick...where is the damn plug??
I am desperate....my e-mail is [email protected] thanks paul!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok I think I found what you guys are talking about...but it's not disconnected...but let me explain where I found it first to see if I am looking at the right thing. Ok it's a two buckles? one small and one large right? it the large one clips on while the small one has a clip that holds it close to the engine...no problem there...I disconnected it and plugged it back in and nothing the gauge still doesn't work. I found the plug right by the front a/c pulley (right next to the pulley, right?) so this is right? I hope I found the wrong one cuz if this is not the problem then I have another problem...help me out guys! and happy new year to all!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok just checked my oil lever and the oil is about 1/2 way up between the two points on the dipstick....I guess something is wrong? but shouldn't the gauge still go up anywayz??? please help...I am getting very worried now thanks!

C

·
0 Posts
Hey fastboy, the gauge unit is right next to your oil filter, it should have a single connector plugged into it. The gauge doesn't indicate how much oil you have in the engine, just the pressure. Computers in cars now a days will automatically kill the engine if the oil pressure really does go below a certain point. When I first bought my 93 stealth the needle would go to about the second to the last line and the oil light would come on. The original owners said it did that often. Four years later I no longer have that problem, guess the car is happier with me
lol.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Fastboy,
I believe the sensor is located toward on the other side of the engine from where you are looking. It is on the firewall side of the engine, mounted off of the oil PUMP housing (the housing that holds the crankshaft seal). It is a single wire connector with a barb style tip on the sensor.

If have a fax, I'll be happy to fax you a diagram of where the sensor screws into the side of the housing- email me if want

[This message has been edited by SteveVR4 (edited December 31, 1999).]

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Dave,

Steve is right. The oil pressure switches are on the firewall side of the engine. The best description I can think of is that they are just about underneath the P/S pump. If you don't get it figured out give me a call and I'll walk you through it.

Dan

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ohh! I c...I am looking at the wrong place!!! not that I found it yet but...will definitely put the car on jack stands. So it is near the power steering pump? how come curtis says it's near the oil filter? hmm...I am confused...I was looking in the front of the car right next to the a/c compressor pulley...there seems to be a connector there with 1 or two wires...and there is even a smaller connector....I thoght that was it...so next to the firewall huh? thanks dan...I'll give you a call monday If I don't find it tomorrow. SteveVR4 thanks too...I'll keep you posted with my findings tomorrow heheheh. thanks everybody!!! I feel a lot happier now knowing that I was looking at the wrong connector!
hehehehe take care guys and I'll keep you all posted..happy new year!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts