Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 3000gt SL. I've only had it for bout a month now. Car started running like crap so I replaced fuel filter that's on the firewall and it was a completely different car, I mean it ran amazing so responsive, it was great. Well two days went by then all of a sudden the car is acting up bad, it seems like it's just running off the headers or something, like not all cylinders are firing and now it sounds like there is an exhaust lleak or something but idk.....is there another filter anywhere else, like on the fuel pump or something?? Please help me out someone, thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not sure why this is posted in ROTM sub-forum... but
I just replaced my fuel filter today and had this thought: Fuel is filtered a few ways (3 ways that I know of)
  1. Fuel pump 'sock' filter located in the fuel tank
  2. Fuel filter on firewall
  3. Fuel Injector filter-screen on each injector
Logically, if you replaced the filter on the firewall your problem could be that you are not getting the required pressure from the fuel pump in the tank. However if could also be that the injectors are clogged up with shit that got past the previous fuel filter. I would pull the fuel pump first as it seems easier than pulling the injectors and is cheaper than replacing/cleaning injectors. That being said I wouldn't be set on it being a fuel problem when there are spark, ecu, and sensor issues that could cause misfires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts