Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
400 Hp <-- In Progress
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mitsu:Okay, just a few days ago I noticed a leak coming from my engine. It was in relatively the same spot, but there were 2 different puddles.

Today....

I just took a look under the car, and found where the fluid was leaking from. Being that I am mecahnical vocabulary illiterate, here is my best account of where the fluid is coming from.

Looking under the engine by the passenger wheel, there is a plastic piece (covering or shield of some sort) not more than a few inches next to the wheel itself. Directly to the right of the plastic (looking from the front of the car back) there is what resembles parts of the transmission. (just a guess) This block of metal has a sort of grid on the bottom of it.

The fluid is leaking from this part of the engine, and has gotten all over the plastic piece and the metal block itself. I wiped the part with a paper towel and it left a light brown stain; however, when I wiped the rear (towards the trunk) part of the block I wiped a black gunk from it.

I am completely lost as to what this could be. :confused:

I don't think it is oil, because it sure doesnt smell like it. I have read many posts and am leaning towards it being a leak in the transmission. Does anyone know, or have any experience with leaks coming from this area?

If so, I would greatly appreciate your help. :D

Oh, I was wondering, if I went ahead and changed my oil, oil filter, and transmission fluid, would that help at all?

Thanks!

Ryan:mitsu:

·
Gearhead
637 Posts
Yes, it's a leak in your transmission. The transmission is on the right side of the engine next to and a bit ahead of the right front wheel. The brown stain is transmission oil, and the black gunk is oil mixed with road grime (fairly normal). VR-4 transmissions are prone to leaks. Usually the leak is at one of the case joints, which sounds like your problem since the leak seems to be near the front. There are no case gaskets; the joints are filled with sealant. The right way to fix it is to disassemble the transmission and reassemble it with new sealant, and oil seals too while you are at it. Unfortunately this will be expensive due to the labor of removing and disassembling the transmission.

Your engine oil and filter have nothing to do with this, although changing them regularly is always a good idea. But change your transmission fluid soon and top it off regularly until you can get the leak fixed. Also note how much oil comes out when you drain it, as it will give you an indication of how fast the leak is (when mine leaked like that I had to add about a pint a month). Use Red Line, BG Synchroshift, GM Synchromesh, or Amsoil. Don't use anything marked GL-5 or you will destroy your synchros. You mentioned it didn't smell like oil. Did it have a sulfury smell like rotten eggs or natural gas (the kind in the stove)? GL-5 oils contain molybdenum disulfide and smell like that. It wouldn't have caused the leak, but it is bad for other reasons.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts