Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I know I haven't posted in a while. I hope everyone is doing well. My car (93 Stealth ES auto) started idling waaay to high this week. It's going up to 2500 rmps when I have the shifter in the "park" postion, if it's in gear it hangs out around 1200-1300 rpms. What the heck is this? Is this something I can do alone? I am fairly good with machines and such but I don't know where to start on this one. I did check all the wire couplings and all that jazz, everything was secure and looked ok. Any ideas?? Please lemme know....

---Adam
[email protected]

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The idle screw at least on the turbo models is on the throttle body. Try using a phillips head screw driver and try turning it untill the idle comes down. You will probally have to turn the screw then tap the throttle and so on till it comes down. Hope this helps

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Spyder! Thanks for the quick response, but that didn't help... The adjuster is there on the throttle body, but that wasn't it. Hmmm... Maybe a sensor? This only occurs after the car is warmed up... Any more ideas?

=] =] =]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You might want to check the Idle Speed Control. This is a little device that lets in enough air to keep the engine idleing. I dont know if the stealths have ISCs but I had one on my 3rd gen Supra so i figure there is probably one on the stealth. I would say to replace it if it isnt working

·
Registered
23 Posts
This may not help, but might be worth a shot. Disconnect battery for 5 minutes. Reconnect battery and let it idle for 1 hour. This is what a mechanic asked me to do after mine idled really high 2000 rpm. I never got to try it so i don't know if it works.

george

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input folks! I drove the car to my parent's house today (around 25 miles) and it was doing it's high idle trick when I came to a stop anywhere... Then tonight on my way home (mind you it was about 35 degrees out now compared to the 65 it was in the afternoon) it was behaving normally. Hmmmmmmm... I'm gonna see what happens tomorrow and then I think I'll try that disconnect the battery trick if it's still being a punk.

Later all, thanks for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts