Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was messing with my radar detector last night and then blew the fuse for the outlet by the ashtray, It was late so I didn't try looking for the fuse, today I replaced the fuse, started the car and now the brake light on the dash and the check engine light is on. I replaced the blown fuse and the outlet still has no power there, did I blow more fuses somewhere? The car had no problems before today. I went to wash it befor ethe check engine light came on and there was no power when I gave it gas, then the check engine light came on. The car has plenty of oil and no other known problems, what do i need to check?

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Check under the hood.There is a main fuse box on the pass.side front.Check those. There is one for the ECU.If it blows then the C.E.L. will come on and the car won't start.The fuses are labeled and it is probably a small fuse that looks like the ones under the dash.Good luck.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THe car runs, but it feels like there is no power at all, it is a base but there is definately a lack of power from it's normal running.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No fuses under the hood are blown, now I am worried it might be something important, I was really hoping this was just another blown fuse! Any ideas now?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, using a test light I have verified no blown fuses under the dash, visually looking I see none under the hood blown. My check engine light and brake light are on still. I have no power to the rear wiper and no light in the glove box. What is it common to these that could have blown? The radio works, the dome lights work, power windows and locks work. help???

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Did you check your relays also. I think the only easy way is to replace them. You might be able to do a resistance check but I dont have a 3s shop manual around to look up how.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Have you reset the ecu sincce it happened? Sometimes computers can get stuck in a loop and an ecu can get stuck also. Try reseting it and tell us if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would the stuck ECU cause me to lose power to the rear wiper and the outlets???

Disconnecting the battery for a while would reset it correct?

Does anyone know which relay I would have to replace, or can you tell me one I can pull safely to test the others?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ibceptor said:
Would the stuck ECU cause me to lose power to the rear wiper and the outlets???

Disconnecting the battery for a while would reset it correct?

Does anyone know which relay I would have to replace, or can you tell me one I can pull safely to test the others?
Unpluging the battery for a while will reset the ECU. Leave it unpluges for about 10 min.
I don't know if it the problem but sounds close since no fuses are blown and no wires burnt up, correct?
I don't see much that could go wrong. I'll look into it more later tonight.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I was waiting until someone said yeah that does it, I Will go d/c the battery now and go back later and connect it and try, I never thought the ECU would affect the things like this but I am all for trying this haha

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Did you visually inspect the fuses. Pull them and see if the wire is broken instead of using the test light.

Also in the shop manual under wiring you can see a lot of stuff runs on the same curcuit.

I had a problem on my gsx where my inside guages wouldnt light up at night. Turns out the guages and the tail lights were on the same relay. I just swapped the fog light relay and it all started working. Most of them look the same so just read them and look fomr something obvious.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I just connected the batter back, it was well over 30 minutes off. Now I have no power still to the outlet or to the rear wiper, I noticed the right side tail light is out, but dont know if it was before or not. Still no power mirrors, everything else is fine, no check engine light but I think the car has not run long enough to trigger it since the ecu reset. Ok now what should I try?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figured with a test light, if it has power to both sides of the fuse it has to be good, otherwise one side would be dead, I will try swapping relays in the daylight tomorrow, it has to be problem I think, just not sure which is which, I need to get the CDROM I can see that now

·
Registered
434 Posts
I did some looking but didn't find much. I know that there is a relay somewhere that would control it. If you did a search maybe you could find one. Also look for any wires that could have broken or fried. That would be a cause of the problem.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did not get a chance to look at it today, was sick, but did not ever see nor smell any burned wires when I was under the hood or under the dash yesterday. I will get out first thing in the am and start changing relays

1 - 15 of 15 Posts