Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
A while ago I replaced my steering wheel with an aftermarket one and I was told that the SRS warning light would go out if I connected a 2-Ohm resistor between two wires (brown and blue if I recall).
I did this, and it worked like a charm for 6 months. Then the light came back on. I expected the resistor had come loose - but it hadn't.
So now I'm wondering if I can make the light go out some other way - preferably one that doesn't involve tearing out the dashboard please?
Fuse maybe?
Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
449 Posts
The only way to make the light turn off is to correct the problem. Antero (BlackStealth) has an SRS tool you can buy that both reads the code and resets the light, may consider picking one up.

If you ever plan to sell the car I'd suggest looking into your liability having "tampered" with the srs system.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I take your point but I'm not too worried about selling it - my son wants it when I'm done with it.
I read a few posts about that analyzer, but I didn't understand much of what it was about.It seems that a lot of the posters wanted something that will do many things on many cars.

I have a 1993 SL and it seems every year has its own weirdness. I'm not opposed to buying one of these analyzers, but they seem to be way more capable than I really need. I was wondering if one of the cheap ones on Ebay might do the job - or am I just not that lucky?

Also, wouldn't the code just trigger every time I start the engine please? I'm not sure why the resistor method stopped working - a resistor doesn't suddenly stop resisting.
Do you know how I can contact Antero please?
Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think you're looking at his scan tool, this is the tool I was referencing:
https://www.3si.org/forum/f4/srs-airbag-reset-scantool-91-99-a-812594/
It does exactly what you need, nothing more.

I'm not sure what tools you're seeing on eBay but a standard OBD scan tool does not communicate with srs computer on these cars. You need something purpose built.
My understanding is that when the srs computer detects a fault it stores the code until cleared with the proper device. It doesn't check or rest in the same way the ecu does.

To get in touch with Antero just follow the link above and either post in that thread or click his user name (BlackStealth) and send him a private message. Looks like he's currently sold out but I did see 3sx selling them a while back, not sure what their stock is.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
If you unplug the airbag computer from under the center console (it's under the cup holder portion) the light will go off.

a total of 4 screws, you only take that rear part off to get to it.

obviously the airbag will not work if you get in a accident, and if you go to sell it that should be noted to the buyer directly.

·
Money pit owner.
2,644 Posts
I would follow Warzone's advice until you switch back to the stock steering wheel with airbag, then you will need to reset the SRS code by going to the dealer so they can use their DRBII tool or you can buy Blackstealth's tool and reset it yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts