Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
never happened before but its starting now...had a few inches of snow the past few days and i tried starting her up today expecting to get trouble (had trouble a couple of days back after some snow too) and was right. cranked over a few times (VERY slowly) before it went dead. after that it just keeps clicking. no cranking of the engine. wtf is going on!? is the cold making it hard for the starter to crank the engine?

for some strange reason, my ac comes on EVERYTIME the i turn my key and the clicking comes on....even though i switch it off, it comes back right on the moment the clicks start the next time i turn the key. i kept trying to start the car and now my srs light is on as well..when i depress the brake, i hear a clicking from the rear as well as my aero light going off...ac display also goes dim when i step on the brakes with the key in acc.

anyone know whats going on?!

·
-
6,794 Posts
I will almost gurantee your battery is going bad. It probably doesn't like the cold. Also, your battery terminals could be really coroded. These cars seem to have this problem a lot, the starting circuit is finikey. In this case though, with your AC coming on every time, its your battery. ;)

edit: It is possibe that your battery is still good and just needs a recharge, but your alternator is going bad. Most likely just the battery though.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so the ac comes on when the battery is bad?

so to check if its a battery problem, i only have to jump my car? would i have to change the battery or just top it up or something?

·
Mommy says I'm special
2,311 Posts
If it is the first time then its just the battery most likely. If the alternator is bad, I think you would have seen a gradual decrease in battery power. That was at least what happen to my friends car when his alternator went bad. So very doubtful it is the alternator.

·
Registered
72 Posts
yes, alternators going bad manifest themselves (least in my case) by your dash going really dim and your headlights as well but when u press the gas the lights and dash go to full strenght and as long as you have the gas going ur fine, take it off tho and your @#&)ed.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Freak Show said:
AC probably comes on because the computer gets reset. You need to spend the cash and get yourself a good reliable battery. Jumping it would not do anything.
yeah...i guess i was trying to say that i would like to see if there was any way of checking that the battery is faulty before replacing it...

any recommendations for a good reliable battery?

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
I guess I'll play devil's advocate. It could be your starter. I had the same problem..eventually there was no more clicking even with a new battery.
If you still have clicking, I'd say your safe and it's just your battery or terminals, it's happened to me a few times..a quick cleaning of the terminals and everything was back to normal.

·
-
6,794 Posts
If it was just clicking your hearing, then it could be many things. BUT, since the AC comes on every time as well, you know its the battery. My car had the clicking and I replaced my starter with a newer used one. It still did the same thing. It did the AC thing a few times and I just had to get my battery charged. It was still doing it and I finally figured out that it was an old aftermarket alarm system that was fooling with the starter circuit. Its the battery for you man! ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Want to know for sure it's the battery? Jump start the car (if that starts it, it was likely the battery). Then drive to AutoZone and have them test the battery for ya (they'll charge it for an hour first if it's dead when you get there). And have them test your alternator too.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
she's aliveeeee!!! thanks folks..got a brand new battery sitting in her right now. came right back to life when i jumped her..so i figured the battery was the cause of it...unless of coz, theres some parasitic circuit somewhere...but she's completely stock, so i doubt it...

anyways, tested the old battery..apparently the voltage was good (i had just jumped her before testing and was driving around a bit..so maybe that helepd) but the cranking amps was down to 312...when it was supposed to be 700. no report of a dead cell..

anyways...just happy to have her back and running

1 - 14 of 14 Posts