Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for some reason, my key does not unlock my doors. i had a new oem key made according to my vin, not a copy of my previous piece of shit key. the key won't even turn, it will go in almost all the way, but it will not turn whatsoever. anyone ever had this problem?? if so, what did ya do to fix it??
thanx in advance

·
Registered
85 Posts
same prob

I have the same prob. My key works fine in the ignition, but won't barely fit in the key hole in the door. I have a viper, so i never really need to use my key in the door. Thx for the tip though, I'll have to try it.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Never use WD40 or other liquid lubricants in a lock. They will eventually attract more contaminants and gum the lock up even worse.

Use powdered graphite. A quick squeeze of the tube into the lock opening will make any lock work like new again - car, home, etc.

If your old key worked fine and the new one does not, the problem lies with the key, not the lock.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, at one point, the other key worked fine, but it stopped unlocking the door eventually. thats why i had the other one made in the first place. i thought that would fix the problem. but i will definitely try to spray some powdered graphite in there. is it simliar to silicone spray?? sorry, i have never heard of that before.
either way, thanx for the help!

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
The graphite comes in a tube and is available from any parts store. It's like powdered pencil lead - the powder just comes out with the air when you squeeze the tube.

It's the perfect fix for any lock-related problems.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
well, I used wd-40 a fe months ago, I can forsee in my future either installing my alarm (had it for a year, too lazy to install :( ) or replacing locks.. heh

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
i would agree with John M about it being the key and not the lock. when i bought my car, i had the dealer cut me a new key since the one they wanted to give me was bent. anyways, it took them like 8 tries to get it right. they did cut the key using the vin numbers too. it wasn't as if they used my old key. likely your old key is worn and has worn the lock in certain places. the new key, being exact specs is probably not turning because the key isn't worn in the places it needs to be worn. not sure if that made sense, but hope it helps. i'd get the dealer to keep cutting the key till they get it right.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, i see what yer saying. the reason i had a new key made was because the worn one was not unlocking the doors anymore. i figured that the key was too worn, so i had a new one made, which did not fix the problem. i can unlock the trunk okay, but just not the doors. i think i will need new locks, anyone ever had to replace those?

·
Stealth Owner For Life
333 Posts
dropldoo

I've had this problem in the past. I got ahold of some lubricant called Dropldoo... not sure if I spelled it right... procounced "Drop-ill-do". It came in a little squeeze bottle with a long thin metal straw on the cap that makes it really easy to squeeze in the locks. The lubricant contains a lot of graphite and worked great! Much cleaner than WD-40.. and trust me, a DROP WILL DO.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
where did ya get the dropildo at??
ill go snag some right now, and give it a try if its available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts