Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 93 Stealth TT knowing it had syncro issues and was able to drive it nicely until now. On a harder than normal acceleration (not from a stop) it clunked and now it won't move. There is a spinning noise kind of like a starter motor when I try moving in any gear. It will slightly pull forward but barely.

Looks like the transmission work will have to be done sooner than later now. Seems like there are lots of parts and places that specialize in these transmissions in the US but not so much in Canada. Wondering if anyone from up here has any suggestions or estimates in Canadian dollars that this might take.

I believe Mr transmission said something like 11 hours to pull the transmission and put it back in. That seems like alot. Just trying to find any info applicable to is Canadians and what kind of time is reasonable.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,655 Posts
If I'm right, what happened had nothing to do with your synchro issues.
My son had the same thing happen, and I was in the car at the time, AND it wasn't all that of an aggressive move from a stop.
The output shaft on the transfer case either stripped or snapped (I don't recall which, but the result is the same, no movement.

I'm sorry, but if you are not able to do this work on your own, you are looking at a fairly large bill, and that is just to get it moving again.
Then, you still have to deal with the synchro issues.

I was lucky enough to have a good friend, who is THE best with these cars pick the car up, take it back to his shop in PA, fix it, then drop it back off.
This was over 10 years ago, and I think I'm still paying him (kidding!!!).

Good Luck.

Bob.

·
Registered
1993 Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thatks fot that info, sounds probable Definitely realize the syncro issue is not related. But at the same time trying to set a scope of what's all wrong so I can get better advice as to what kind of cost in Canadian or at least an idea of how many hours for a shop and parts. I hate that I can't even go to the US to get it done so I am stuck with getting it fixed here and parts are probably going to take awhile to get. Not ideal.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,655 Posts
Hey, just for shits and grins, I went back in my emails to find that I paid $2100 (parts and labor) to have the output shaft replaced and a new clutch/pressure plate/tob put in my son's car.
A LOT of that labor was removal of both the TC and Tranny, rebuild of the TC, the clutch work, and then the re-install of both units.
This was back in 2011, and again, I had done business with this friend LOTS of times and he was NOT boosting his costs.
I don't believe that covered the cost of transportation to and from Ohio (South Central) to PA (very EAST side) and back.

Just trying to give you what I would think is a low end number for you to think about....

Bob.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts