Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is running fine ( I drove about 300 miles with the light on). at highway speed at least, gauges seem normal. I have a feeling the cooling fans aren't kicking in. the relay is fine. The engine feels cool when it is running, turn it off, and come back 10 mins later and it feels hot! I have some basic tools, but no multimeter to read the codes. Any advice? Could the fans be ok, but the coolant temp sensor is shot? Oh yeah, its a 91 rt tt.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Diablo, if the temp gauge does not look past half on the H side then probably not over heating. The car usually won't show a check engine light for the heads overheating until the temp gauge is way up there in the red area of the gauge. This happen to me when my thermostat went out.

Does the light come on as soon as you start the car after letting it sit to cool down?

Do you smell anything unusual?

Mario

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm...no unusual smells, coolant in overflow is cold, and the light is always on. But, I have yet to see the fans run.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Put an LED code reader in the dash. For a 91 R/T, simply connect wire from ground through a 470 ohm resistor to the cathode (-) of an LED and the anode (+) of the LED to pin 1 ( upper left pin on diagnostic connector ). Use a female spade crimp connector off to the one side to connect to pin 1.

LED will continually flash error code anytime the key is on. My code 53 was 5 long flashes, pause, and 3 short flashes. This code repeated continually until reset by removing battery cable for a few seconds erasing memory. With no error, light flashes porportionally on/off like the curser on your computer. As soon as you get a check engine light, the light immeadiatly flashes the error code and repeats. Cool !!!

·
Welcome To The Machine
951 Posts
The check engine light usually indicates a sensor failure or other failure in the emmissions control system. Unless you have drivability problems, you should be OK getting home.

Bruce
3Si #0243

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Get an analog multimeter. They are relatively cheap and you can use it to read the codes. It could be a lot of things, but Bruce is right in that it will probably be a sensor, relay, or emission related problem. I don't know that the cooling fan would set a code (but it may). Reading the code is the best way to know.

Mark
'93 RT TT

·
Registered
653 Posts
Maybe it was just a momentary glitch somewhere that tripped a code. If you have a wrench to do so, I would disconnect the neg battery cable to re-set the ECU. I THINK that clears the codes. If the light still comes on, you probably have a bad sensor somewhere. A datalogger (or the dealer) could interpret the code for you. I wish I could help but my datalogger and I are quite a ways from Boston.

Like Bruce said, if it runs okay I really wouldn't worry too much about it till you get home.

[This message has been edited by Mike91TT (edited January 11, 2000).]

·
Curmudgeon
5,526 Posts
Diablo, you just drove into New Hampshire, right? You must have come over some hills on the way. I've had this happen to me before when going I go camping in the mountains. Going from sea level to 6,000ft causes the ECU to see the barometric presure change too fast, and triggers a code. The car's probably fine. Disconnecting the battery to clear the code is usually all ya need to do.

I'm not too far from Nashua if you want to check it out. I have a meter if you want to check the code. Let me know!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had a similar problem with my car. It was one of the belts (actually the part that hold the main belt) was coming loose. Check it out.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help, guys! I'll reset the battery, and see if it pops up again.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well,I cleared the code, and the light went off. Weird. Really curious to what set it off, but its gone now. Thanks for the help guys, guess I panicked.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited January 11, 2000).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts