Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I have recently purchased a 1991 3000gt VR4 (1 owner car). It has not been run for 6 years. The previous owner kept it garaged, so the paint and exterior look really good for it's age. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm really interested in fixing the car myself.

It ended up having a bad starter motor and a bad ignition switch, so I replaced those, changed the oil, and topped off fluids. Got her started just fine, and ran a couple test drives... until the engine temp spiked suddenly and overheated. I added a bunch of coolant down the radiator filler and let her cool off. I also noticed some pooled coolant in the bottom of the engine compartment.

The coolant is leaking, and I did a radiator cap test, and had coolant spraying out the radiator filler neck (it had a broken hose connector... waiting on a replacement part now). Also, I'm unsure about the entire coolant system, water pump, temp sensor, radiator fan (which I have not seen run yet).

Anyway, that is where I am at with this car so far! Hopefully I won't destroy this car before fixing it. 馃槈

Attachments

Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
First thing I would do is a 60k service (timing belt and associated pulleys and tensioner, WATER pump, plugs, belts and the list can go on).

If you are leaking coolant out the water pump, it could get on the timing belt, stretching it (if you run it) and cause major damage. These are INTERFERENCE engines, in case you didn't know. And if you're not familiar with the term, if your timing belt skips teeth (it only takes a few) your valves will be out of time and WILL get damaged.

Not trying to scare you, but you need to know the nuances of these cars...

I have to agree with the two previous posters, great find!!

Bob.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
First thing I would do is a 60k service (timing belt and associated pulleys and tensioner, WATER pump, plugs, belts and the list can go on).
Thanks! Yes, I have been pricing out what I will need for the 60k service, and plan to do that soon. This might be a dumb question, but I currently have some cheap ramps that I used to access the starter motor (and all that fun), but to access the timing belt, I would need to jack up the drivers side and remove the tire, correct? What is the best setup/equipment for safely keeping the car jacked up for the 60k service? Any other tips or suggestions? :thumbsup:

Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
If you don't already have a set, I would get JACK STANDS. Jack's and ramps are great, but when I'm under a car, I want a GOOD set of jack stands securely in place. And put something behind the rear wheels!!! I use pieces of 2x4.

I've never done the 60K myself, but I have watched it be done a few times. One of the best 3S mechanics is a good friend of mine and he always removes the drivers side motor mount and raises the engine slightly on that side (he used a engine hoist, but I've seen it done with a jack, JUST MAKE SURE YOU DON'T JACK UP VIA the OIL PAN!!!!)

Make sure you take pictures as you remove stuff, and label it so you're not scratching your head near the end!! Seriously, even the bolts, if there are multiple you take off in an area, mark a baggie and place them in there. Having leftover hardware can be very stressful!

You're correct on the drivers side and tire, but most lift the whole car so when you take off the water pump, the water at least flows evenly and NOT uphill. You need to take all three timing covers off, both uppers and the large lower.

I believe there are plenty of videos out there of guys doing 60K's. Take the time and watch them.

Jeff Lucius' site (Stealth 316 Home) is INVALUABLE. Bookmark it and use it. You won't be disappointed.

Best advice? Keep asking questions. There are still plenty of people here willing to help (although unfortunately, a LOT of the long time members are fading off).

Good Luck!

Bob.

Resident mad scientist
be cautious with the boost until you are sure its under control. Find, inspect, and be sure of the wastegate hoses. Overboost will kill the engine (thats how I got my last stealth). The nipple on the back side of the Y pipe is a common breakage. (if you don't know what/where these items are, its time to learn).

if you hear spark knock/ping/detonation etc, lift your foot, or you will kill the engine.

Good luck with the car, once things are sorted out they are fun cars.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts