Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1992 3000gt VR4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm Alex from Chattanooga TN. and this is my 92 VR4. This is my first VR4, but not my first experience with them. My father had 2 VR4s and a Stealth RTT when I was younger. We were always playing with them. From upgraded turbos and injectors to custom interiors and custom audio systems (Back in the Nopi Nationals day). From the time he sold his last one, I've wanted to find a another one for me. Well, he stumbled across this 92 vr4 and called me to see if I wanted it. I'm officially the 3rd owner of this beauty. It's all original, garage kept, and absolutely stunning. It spent the last 11 years in a garage, almost never driven due to the previous owners fears of something happening to this beauty. I've put 500+ miles on it in the last few weeks and I'm in love.

Right now, the plan is maintenance and restoration. This car is in such good condition, butI want to restore it back to factory perfection. Then, maybe I'll do a little work on the motor... ;-) I've got new lifters on order along with valve cover gaskets and transmissions synchros. Oh, and some used fog lights to replace the one cracked one. I'm still trying to decide what to do about suspension and wheels. As far as I know, the ECS works and part of me wants to keep it original, but I know after market coilovers will help the ride and feel of the car. I don't love the chrome wheels either, so we'll see on that.

·
Premium Member
1994 3000GT VR4
1,078 Posts
Welcome. When you say aftermarket coilovers will help ride and feel, do you mean for track use? They can be fairly harsh for street driving, and dips in the road that wouldn't affect normal cars too much can have you catching a little air. Or at least that's my experience with Tein HA's.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,712 Posts
I'm not telling you what to do, but if it was me, I would just fix the stuff you know is broken, and then leave it be.
Every "mod" you do, will likely DECREASE the value of such a perfect example of a stock 1992 VR4.

Did your Dad hang out here?

Bob.

Reactions: shocku992

·
Registered
1992 3000gt VR4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome. When you say aftermarket coilovers will help ride and feel, do you mean for track use? They can be fairly harsh for street driving, and dips in the road that wouldn't affect normal cars too much can have you catching a little air. Or at least that's my experience with Tein HA's.
Good to know! I've seen a few people on the FB group talking about how the ride is better with aftermarket coilovers. This is mostly a DD for me, and it won't be getting a lot of track use. If I want to track something, I'll take the corvette.

·
Registered
1992 3000gt VR4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not telling you what to do, but if it was me, I would just fix the stuff you know is broken, and then leave it be.
Every "mod" you do, will likely DECREASE the value of such a perfect example of a stock 1992 VR4.

Did your Dad hang out here?

Bob.
That's my thinking as well. Maybe oneway I'll buy another as a toy I don't mind restomodding. Right now I have 5 vehicles, so my wife might murder me if I came home with another vr4. LOL

I know he use to hang out on the forums some but I wasn't able to find him by any username I know. His last VR4 was green with a dual color custom interior and custom low profile sub box with plexiglass covered amps. It was the early 2000s.... lol

·
15,712 Posts
Watch it!
I am from the early 2000's around here!!!

I take it your father has passed? Or can you are you able to ask him about his screenname?

Do you have pics of his cars?

Sorry if I'm dredging things up...

Bob.

EDIT: When the forum changed hands a few years back, lot's of members lost their original screen names. That may be why you can't find him under something you thought he may be under...

·
Registered
1992 3000gt VR4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Watch it!
I am from the early 2000's around here!!!

I take it your father has passed? Or can you are you able to ask him about his screenname?

Do you have pics of his cars?

Sorry if I'm dredging things up...

Bob.

EDIT: When the forum changed hands a few years back, lot's of members lost their original screen names. That may be why you can't find him under something you thought he may be under...
I am from the early 90s LOL I just mean the car was of a style that was more relevant then. Hence the black and yellow two-tone interior LOL. At the time he had a custom car shop called LA extreme customs. We used his car as a show car for a few years.

I asked, I think he’s looking in his email trying to find his old username.

·
Registered
1994 Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR
60 Posts
Before I changed to coilovers, my GTO rode like a cloud (non-ECS) on stock suspension. It was kind of amazing lol. Very quiet, smooth, and floats over everything (could be good or bad depending on the driver I guess for "feeling.")

But for a Grand Touring car, perfect in stock form. Has the guts and power to accelerate, quiet cabin, soft suspension, marks every checkbox.

I have HKS coilovers now, and they are a soft/medium coilover spring rated at 8Kg front and 6Kg rear. Possibly, one of the best and most comfortable coilovers I've ridden in, 100% happy about my purchase. It's firm, but not stiff. Plants on the ground well, and transfers weight nicely for my usage.

Welcome to the family officially!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also, I would like to mention.. Solid shots! Are they your own? What is the camera gear? The last photo with the top-down view is beautiful.

·
Registered
1992 3000gt VR4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, I would like to mention.. Solid shots! Are they your own? What is the camera gear? The last photo with the top-down view is beautiful.
Thank you! Sometimes I pretend to be a photographer. 😂
I shoot with all Sony gear now. This was all shot on a Sony A7III and Tamron 28-200 f2.8 lens. Probably of my favorite combos.
I was a canon guy for years, but switched to Sony because most of what I do is video. ScenicCityAdventures on the tubes. We travel around the country in this rig, camping all over and checking out the beautiful parts of each state that most people miss from the roads.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thank you! Sometimes I pretend to be a photographer. 😂
I shoot with all Sony gear now. This was all shot on a Sony A7III and Tamron 28-200 f2.8 lens. Probably of my favorite combos.
I was a canon guy for years, but switched to Sony because most of what I do is video. ScenicCityAdventures on the tubes. We travel around the country in this rig, camping all over and checking out the beautiful parts of each state that most people miss from the roads.
View attachment 299269
View attachment 299268
View attachment 299270
Beautiful shots! As they say, choose the right tool for the right job. I would love to get into videos/cinematography as well, but haven't had the extra cash to fund a non-existent side hobby. Been really looking at Panasonic's Lumix series, since they tend to generally gravitate towards videography.

·
Registered
1992 3000gt VR4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beautiful shots! As they say, choose the right tool for the right job. I would love to get into videos/cinematography as well, but haven't had the extra cash to fund a non-existent side hobby. Been really looking at Panasonic's Lumix series, since they tend to generally gravitate towards videography.
The Lumix series is great. I have a few friends, big youtubers, that swear by them. And ya, I get that, between the camping, YouTube, sports cars, home automation stuff, and drones I have more hobbies than I have time for.

·
Registered
1992 3000gt VR4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you need parts, I'm not far from Chatt. I'm told that I have too much stuff. lol
Solid maybe! No chance you have a drivers side blinker light is there? Ordered a set of fogs, but haven't found a good deal on the blinker yet.

·
Registered
1992 3000gt VR4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before I changed to coilovers, my GTO rode like a cloud (non-ECS) on stock suspension. It was kind of amazing lol. Very quiet, smooth, and floats over everything (could be good or bad depending on the driver I guess for "feeling.")

But for a Grand Touring car, perfect in stock form. Has the guts and power to accelerate, quiet cabin, soft suspension, marks every checkbox.

I have HKS coilovers now, and they are a soft/medium coilover spring rated at 8Kg front and 6Kg rear. Possibly, one of the best and most comfortable coilovers I've ridden in, 100% happy about my purchase. It's firm, but not stiff. Plants on the ground well, and transfers weight nicely for my usage.

Welcome to the family officially!
Good to know. I appreciate the info. First step is to see if my ECS is working. I press the button, and I don't get any lights or changes... so not sure yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a red 92 vr4 and I'm in Chattanooga as well. Engine is forged with 20t turbos. It has a ton of miles and is a little bit beat up though. I'm doing some transmission work on it right now, but it should be back up in running in a week or two. Let me know if you need any help doing the synchros or anything. :)

·
Registered
1992 3000gt VR4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a red 92 vr4 and I'm in Chattanooga as well. Engine is forged with 20t turbos. It has a ton of miles and is a little bit beat up though. I'm doing some transmission work on it right now, but it should be back up in running in a week or two. Let me know if you need any help doing the synchros or anything. :)
Oh sweet! I'd love to check it out and see your thoughts what you've done to yours. Once it's up and running maybe we can do a quick photoshoot, maybe see if we can get some cool roller shots too.
Well, I was planning on finding a shop to help with the synchros and clutch because it's not something I thought I could do in my super unlevel apartment parking lot but if you're serious let's talk.

·
15,712 Posts
Unless the previous owner unplugged the ECS controller (and even that may trigger lights...never tried), if you pressed the ECS button, it should switch between SPORT and TOUR.
If not, maybe both of the bulbs have burnt out or have been pulled.

The change in ride on a fairly smooth road is almost negligable.
Get on a bumpy road and you can definitely tell.

Bob.

·
Registered
1992 3000gt VR4
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unless the previous owner unplugged the ECS controller (and even that may trigger lights...never tried), if you pressed the ECS button, it should switch between SPORT and TOUR.
If not, maybe both of the bulbs have burnt out or have been pulled.

The change in ride on a fairly smooth road is almost negligable.
Get on a bumpy road and you can definitely tell.

Bob.
Good to know. Is it the same Sport / Tour light that comes on when I hit the exhaust switch? When I switch the exhaust from sport to tour, the light comes on and I can hear the difference.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts