Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some research, I've come to the conclusion my AC system keeps developing leaks due to excess high pressure, from the downpipe not having any kind of heat shield. I need to put something there to help keep the heat away. What should I use? Should I make a DIY heat shield and find a place for it to go to block the heat from the ac compressor? Or should I wrap the downpipe? Any opinions?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Either will work. I made heat shields for my down pipe out of the same dimpled aluminum surfaced rock-wool, that I used everywhere.

Reactions: rez604

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,069 Posts
Do both if you can, but a proper coating will also help.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

Reactions: Paul H.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do both if you can, but a proper coating will also help.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9
I need to do it in steps, as money is super tight. I'd say this is temporary because I want tubular manifolds, but I'll never have 2k to drop on just manifolds. Unless I hit lotto or get huge huge gains in the stock market.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,945 Posts
Wrap it. Will make a big difference. and you can get an insulated, foil to wrap around AC line

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wrap it. Will make a big difference. and you can get an insulated, foil to wrap around AC line
That'll be my plan then. Is there an easy way to wrap the precats? Or should I take some of those universal heat shield things from jegs, some metal wire ties, and wrap the precats in that? I think the rear precat is what's closest to the ac compressor.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,945 Posts
I'd gut the precats first, which will cut out some heat and add performance. I just use safety wire to hold on wrap.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd gut the precats first, which will cut out some heat and add performance. I just use safety wire to hold on wrap.
Already gutted them. One of the first things I did.

·
I'm a Member
9,709 Posts
from what I'm aware generally wrapping the headers is not good for their long term lifespan, your best bet is to wrap or protect your A/C line from the sources of the heat and then look at a heatshield for your headsers and pretty much everything that gets hot.. OEM use shields for good reason

·
Registered
97 Posts
Since you replied to my recent thread I just had to reply to this thread of yours. As we all know that heat is the number one factor of power loss for internal combustion engines causing serious side effects for other components under the hood. Over the years of owning several vehicles and motorcycles no wrap or heat shield is going to do a fairly good job in in containment. However after research and testing the only method to actually contain this heat up to 50% or more within the exhaust manifolds and having it discharged out into the atmosphere is ceramic coating. Ceramics is the best material used as a heat resistant coating in the aviation industry and now being used in the automotive industry. So with that being said, my entire first gen TT is 90% ceramic coated. So no need for any heat shield or wraps... ever. Remove your headers/ exhaust manifolds and get them ceramic coated and then you will see the difference in engine bay temps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts