Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Getrag Rebuilder
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I was wondering how I would go about changing the bulbs in my 92 SL with the pop up's. Do I need to get a factory bulb from a dealership? Any advice would be appreciated.
--Steve
3SI #392

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the 1991 sister car, the stealth, but it should be the same. I called all the parts stores and they told me that it is a dealer item. I just replaced mine about 2 months ago and it was about $25, but you might want to check with one of the dealerships that give a 3si club discount and see if they will mail it to you to save 20% or so. However, the shipping charge might eat that up.
Anyway, I'm doing this from memory, but I know with the lights poped up the plastic shroud around the light has to come off and then there are screws around the head light that have to come off (4). Unplug the headlight and reverse to install. I found this out by looking in my service manual. If I were you and know you are going to have a 3000 or stealth of some kind for a long time I would order the service manual, it will be needed from time to time. Runs about $70. Check around or ask the club for a cheaper one. REMEMBER PLASTIC IS REALLY FRAGILE IN THE COLD OF WINTER unless you are lucky enough to live in a warmer climate than I. Hope this helps.

·
Ultra Member
4,294 Posts
I hate to burst your bubble guys but the whole headlamp is a sealed unit. Hence, no bulb to replace but a huge headlamp unit and available at your local auto parts store. The only time you can change bulbs only is if you have the H-4 conversion headlamps.

-Frank-

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a 1993 3000GT-SL and you can order replacment headlamps from a auto parts store. I replaced both headlamps with Wagner lamps, don't have the part number. They were about $15 each, sealed beam halogen. You have to replace the entire headlamp, like Frank (JEEPers) said, no bulb to change. The one area that was difficult is the chrome retainer surrounding the bulb that holds it to the popup assembly. There is always one screw that is too tight to remove. I sprayed them with WD-40, or you can use just about any penetrating oil. I could not remove one of the bottom screws, so I had to bend the retainer a little and was able to change the headlamps.

Brian 1995 VR-4

[This message has been edited by BD72055 (edited December 28, 1999).]

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Jeepers is correct. Save your money and buy replacement sealed beams at Pep Boys, Wal Mart, Auto Zone, etc. Should run about $9 a piece, and may as well replace as pair so have same illumination and similar life expectancies for beams.
If you want high intensity H4 style lighting with replaceable bulbs, you can order JC Whitneys kit (Housing and 90/130 bulb) for about $25/ side and I think they may even be on sale right now for around $20. Order kit for 4 headlight system- I did and they fit and look good.
Hope this helps.
Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts