Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay everyone,
I just joined 3si a few minutes ago. I have been reading threads on here for months and i have to say this is a great resource. A few weeks ago i purchased a 92 3kgt VR-4 which allready had a lot of aftermarket goodies on it. I am lovin it:D I was wondering how hard it would be to do a headlight conversion to the second gen style lights. They don't like the same shape from what i have seen so would i need to cut out part of the hood? I plan on getting a carbon fiber hood eventually so i will probably try to do it then if ever but i was just interested.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Headlamps are $400/each new I believe. You also either need to replace your hood with a 2nd generation (94-99) style hood, or have a body shop "modify" your current hood so it'll fit. I think there may be even more modifcations involved.

SWEET RIDE!!!!! WELCOME TO 3SI!

.jon

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hay thanks jon,
damn, that was a quick reply. i can't believe that the head lights are $400 though. that is fairly pricy! do you know how much a 2nd gen hood would cost and how easily they attach to and fit the 1st gens? thanks again!

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
They do have "conversion" kits for 1st gen cars that eliminate the sealed beam halogens and let you put in a H4 bulb or something similar. It is a LOT less expensive, and you will have headlights that look almost like the new BMW HID headlights. The conversion kits cost about $70 in a few places, and the bulbs vary greatly in price, depending on how good of one you want.
Plus, you'll still have pop-up headlights, which I prefer over the 2nd gen.

Todd

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
ikOnone,
I'm gonna be taking my lights off of my 95 R/T TT if you would be interested in them. Like jon3k said you would have to buy a second gen hood (~$600 new) or have a shop modify yours.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks MeTrzan, how much would you sell em to me for? i might be interested. they will probably sit around my house for a while until i get a CF hood but i would have em when i needed em. i was wondering though, they look very dark, i would like to get them clear if possible, any ideas? also, i assume that they are the same as 3kgt 2nd gen headlights but are there any differences that you know of?

thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, i also wanted to ask, has anyone seen a CF hood with cool scoops? All the ones that i have seen are lacking in the scoop department. just wondering.

·
your mom
303 Posts
utracerx9
I imagine the reasone he wants to change to the 2nd gen style is because he prefers the look, the projectors definitely don't have a brightness advantage. A lot of people such as myself run with our headlights on all the time and although pop-ups have a desireable appearence when down, they look gawdy when popped up. I know thats my reason for preferring gen-2. Am I anywhere near right ikonone?

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes that is correct wild thing. i do appriciate the reply though utracerx9. i like the non pop ups a lot better. for now i am just going with the "lazy eye" effect on my pop ups by only keeping them up about 2/3 of the way. this, i think, looks better than having the pop ups all the way up.:cool:

·
Registered
441 Posts
They do have "conversion" kits for 1st gen cars that eliminate the sealed beam halogens and let you put in a H4 bulb or something similar. It is a LOT less expensive, and you will have headlights that look almost like the new BMW HID headlights. The conversion kits cost about $70 in a few places, and the bulbs vary greatly in price, depending on how good of one you want.

---- where can i buy that at?

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
Ikonone,
I had to go out of town for the weekend and didnt have access to a computer(out in the sticks) The lights are the same as the 3kGT except on the R/T's they paint the lights black, they have a clear lense, unlike the 3KGT where the housing is the body color. I did get an offer of $300 for both lights but he wants the whole shootin match(headlights, turnsignals, bumper) so if you want them make an offer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.