Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually theres about 3 problems, but maybe all are from the same thing. First, when I take off sorta fast in reverse, I hear this clicking noise...WHAT IS IT??? Second, Whenever I come across some road that has minor bumps, I hear this rattling noise coming from the front somewhere, like a thin sheet of metal tapping on something...WHAT IS IT??? Last, when at idle, theres this rattling noise coming from the engine bay, like, around the tranny, this noise is a bit different from the second problem, this is more of a "two rocks hitting each other lightly" type of deal, is it my tranny...WHAT IS IT??? Sorry for the repitition. Thanks for any input.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
The rattling going over bumps could be your brake dust cover. Just bend it back a little. The transmission may need new mounts if it *is* the problem. And check and make sure everylooks like it is secure. Maybe start the car then look to see where exactly the problem is.
Test the springs, shocks by bouncing the car up and down to see if you can reproduce the sound.

-Jeff

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
here's my $.02

You're click is either a brake rotor shield like Dark said, or it's the brakes themselves. The pads may be sticking to the rotor slightly, and slipping when they release. Lastly, it could be something in the trans. That's hard to diagnose, because we haven't heard the noise first hand. (ticks and clicks can really come from anywhere in the drivetrain or suspension)

The rattle, is most likely a heat shield. There are a few that house around your turbos, and also a few that are tack welded around the downpipes, and near the main catalytic. Crawl under the car, and tap stuff with a large screwdriver, and see if anything rings with a non solid noise. If any of the tack welds have broken or rusted through, the shield will vibrate at a certain point, when the resonating frequency is 'just right'

Your 'rocks hitting each other' noise is most likely the throw out bearing. This is a cylindrical bushing that allows the clutch fork to press against the clutch pressure plate diaphram springs (phew! alot of words to describe ONE part) while the clutch is rotating (even though the fork is not)

When the bearing gets worn, it will rattle a little bit. Quick way to check, is have someone hold the clutch pedal down while the car is started. This may shut the noise off. If so, it's the TOB.

What I wonder, is these are all noises usually associated with older cars, that have worn in quite a bit. Your name denotes that you have a 99 though. Care to elaborate? Are we talking about a 99 that has been beat into the ground? Or is this a different machine?

Elton

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a 99 bought in Sept of 99. Not really beaten to the ground, but definitely not ran like I was 75 years old. I've taken it to the track and ran about 20 times total...thats over 5 trips to the track. Other than that, its daily driven and ran normally...most of the time :) About the problem, I know about cars, but when I comes to trannies and clutches, its not me. So please, anymore input will be GREATLY appreciated, and I'll definitely try you guys' suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Reverse Idle Gear

Might be the same problem i had sounds like it anyway. does yours ever pop out of reverse? check on the back side of the tranny there are three bolt i line of one another. look beside that right near the differential. if that bolt is gone then your reverse idle gear is floating around in side your tranny. that is what happened to mine. except i let it go on efor too long and shreded some of the teeth off not a biggy about 30 bucks from mopar. and the bolt if you need a new one Mitsubishi Eclipse Tranny and FWD one has it same bolt same length. get one from the junk yard for like nothing :) just let it magically drop in your tool box. :) or i think the one from mopar is like 20 or 3 bucks. n e ways hope you get your car fixed.

later

Demon

·
Registered
78 Posts
Reverse Idle Gear?

Might be the same problem i had sounds like it anyway. does yours ever pop out of reverse? check on the back side of the tranny there are three bolt i line of one another. look beside that right near the differential. if that bolt is gone then your reverse idle gear is floating around in side your tranny. that is what happened to mine. except i let it go on efor too long and shreded some of the teeth off not a biggy about 30 bucks from mopar. and the bolt if you need a new one Mitsubishi Eclipse Tranny and FWD one has it same bolt same length. get one from the junk yard for like nothing :) just let it magically drop in your tool box. :) or i think the one from mopar is like 20 or 3 bucks. n e ways hope you get your car fixed.

later

Demon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.