Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put in a 6 speed but want to know my options and if one will even fit? Has anyone used another type of transmission besides the stock trani?

'93 VR4.

·
Mmmmm, Boooooost!
1,563 Posts
Hey Spaceman,

To answer your question, i was looking to do the same thing when my 5-speed started to act up. To go to the tighter gear ratios of the 6-speed, you've gotta replace the tranny, the transfer and the rear differential. a total of about $4000 for parts, not including labor. If you're handy, you're in a much better situation because labor will be about $1500 or so total, and even more at a dealer. Unless you've got that kind of cash, stick with the 5-speed. After all, isn't 3rd really f-ing great on the 5-speeds? 25MPH-120MPH in a single gear!!!

If you need more info, talk to Brian at GTPro. I think he's done a conversion or two.

Later
Damon

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Damon. Yes you are right i will wear out third gear before any other. It's probably better i stay with stock equipment. i dont feel like spending that much to change everything out. I would give $1000 and a case of beer but not $4000. This also helps in my decision to get a shift kit. Thanks again.

-- with traffic the way it is i rarely get into 5th as it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts