Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone had seen the sales figures for the new re-designed Eclipse. I sure haven't seen many, make that any, on the road. At least none in the area where I live. I did see one in Tenn when I was down there on travel.

I remember it because it didn't have as much power as the year old rented Neon I was driving. (note it was a DOHC Neon too, 150HP, nice rental)

I was wondering how their sales figures added up since Mitsubishi droped the 3000GT and re-designed a once very nice Eclipse, into another road load.

At least in my opinion, the new Eclipse is UGLY and slow. Wonder if there is any chance in, well you know where, that Mitsubishi might bring back the 3000?

One thing is for sure I won't be buying my next car from Mitsubishi if they don't. They have nothing that appeals to me any more. And given that my last two cars were Mitsubishi's (86 Starion ESI-R and a 92 VR4, new, which were both top of the line models) that should be a concern to their car company, if they care at all.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Dave Best
3Si #62

G

·
My friend just got one, a GS actually. I admit at first i didn't like them and the clutch is weird, but now i tend to like it more. Him and I have a pretty good friend that works as a salesman at the local Mitsu dealer. Well he got my friend this car at next to nothing and i saw the sales form, i think it ran him $18,900 and that's with a really great deal. He ran me with it from about 55-60mph( i have a 93 Stealth RT Na) and i somked him without mercy. he said by the time he hit 100mph I was already slowing down about a half mile or so down the road. I started slowing down at about 120 when i was about to go over a hill and lose site of him. He didn't even catch me for another mile or two when i got into a town. And oh yeah, my friend with his 84 Camaro Z28 with a 350 in it couldn't keep up and that car runs great and is well maintained. I think they had a better time racing one another. Yes well, for that price i don't think it's to worth it but whatever floats your boat.

Derrick

G

·
I just read an article on Yahoo about the Eclipse. It was a press release. Apparently, Mitsu sales are way up this year, and the new Eclipse has sold something like twice as many as the previous year model. I don't see this myself, as I've only seen a few on the road. The least they could have done was put a single turbo on it, since the demise of the VR-4. I'm not that thrilled about the appearance of the car myself. May be one of those you have to get used to.

·
This Space For Rent
69 Posts
Re: where did all the turbos go?

I can't cite my source of this information, so it may well be a pile of dump. Isn't that reassuring?

Apparently, the reason why you are seeing turbos disappear, on the whole, is that manufacturers are having a hard time making turbo engines meet emission standards. The main weakness is the fact the it takes too long to heat the catylyst. There are requirements for cold starts; they only have so long before emissions have to drop as a result of the cat heating up and working. Those big old iron turbo housings suck the heat right out of the exhaust, and it takes too long.

My personal opinion is that manufacturers don't want to deal with maintenance/warranty hassles that turbos can present as well. Car makers are trying more and more to create maintenance-free appliance-like cars, and turbo cars are contrary to that idea.

I can't think of any upcoming turbo cars or turbo cars that have been released recently except for that damn New Beetle. I wonder how they did it. Probably like 7lbs of boost... Saabs are turbo'd still, aren't they?

Thoughts, anyone?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It figures, just as soon as I wrote that, I hadn't seen one, within a day or two I saw my first one in Northern VA. It was a white one and it really didn't look too bad.

I too had heard Mitsubishi would not be sending any more turbos or AWD cars to the US. Not sure why no AWD's but I too heard the reason for the turbos was because of emissions. And let's face it insurance companys are just as happy not to see any too.

I had heard, but can't confirm that Mitsubishi was thinking about a supercharger, but I think that was something Autoweek said that they were considering, we can only hope.

Thanks everyone for your input, have a great New Years.

Dave Best
3Si #62

G

·
Seen several of them on the road here in Chattanooga, Tenn. Drove the GT, and it desperately cries out for a turbo or supercharger. Somewhat slow, but a nice ride. I'm getting use to the looks still. But will never replace the 3000GT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.