Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my girlfriend shut the passenger door a couple of times and the window caught on the black trim on the top of the car. Thus holding the top of the window out a little bit, this can't be good.

*Why would it do this all the sudden?

*Have any of you experienced this, it only happened a couple of times.

*How do I prevent this?

*Is there any way to hook up a mechanism like the Jaguars and the (I think the new Vette) has where it lowers the window a little when you open it and closes the window when you shut it?

Thanks guys,
Player

J

·
0 Posts
Yep, I have that problem, but on the driver's side. Does your window "flop" back and forth?
Check the play against the other one. My drive window is all out of adjustment. I'm really needing to look into this. Dealer adjusted it, but didn't do too good a job.
It's a real pain in the arse, as I've tried to adjust it, but ran out of time and had to stop working on it. There are several adjustments. I'm going to take the passenger door panel off and see how it is set, so that maybe I can fix the driver side. Perhaps the mechanism is worn out?? Don't know yet. I believe this problem is caused by the heavy doors opening and closing, eventually knocking everything out of whack. I believe the solution would be an automatic door latch, that pulls the door in after you close it, gently, such as in the Acura Legend, and I believe that would eliminate this problem. Problem is, can something like that be bought or even adapted to our cars.

[This message has been edited by Joe_Patterson (edited December 30, 1999).]

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know that I like the idea of having the door electronically held in place if I were in an accident. I would much rather try to adapt the door handles of the Jag's on our car, or something like it.
Player

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Check the "alignment" of that little black trim piece first. It can get bent in once the window gets stuck on it a couple of times, which will make the window catch EVERY time. If it is bent down to where it catches the window, you can just bend it back up a little bit. You can just press on it with a screwdriver or whatever else you have handy.

A lot easier than messing with the whole window alignment!

Hal

T

·
0 Posts
I've had this problem before on my passenger window. You gotta take the trim/door panel off then you'll see the adjustment areas.. you gotta fiddle w/it until it closes properly then tighen everything...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i just bent the little black trim back with vice grips

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Melissa's Stealth passanger door does it in the winter time only.

We just close the door at the top of the glass and it gets under the trim.

This is more common than once thought.

Eric

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But does anyone think that it would be possible to hook up a door handle from a Jaguar that would enable the window to lower before opening and then rais up again once closed?
Player

1 - 8 of 8 Posts