Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be shopping for winter tires soon and want to use 16s because I believe I can get a set of decent aftermarket 16s to fit. I was going to test fit some Mille Miglia Spiders from my buddy's A4 to check for brake clearance, but it is SOOO cold out recently (really don't feel like jacking the car up and taking them off).

Looking at my none-too-expensive aftermarket 17s, which clear with room to spare (both towards the spokes and towards the inside of the wheel), I suspect 16s could be made to work.

My reasons for wanting them are the following:

1) 16" wheels are cheaper

2) 16" tires are cheaper

3) bigger sidewall protects against damage from potholes

4) I'm going narrower with tires anyhow, and 225s (or ! 205s !) will not fit on my 9.5" wide OZ wheels (my stock 17s no longer fit with the brakes).

I KNOW stock 16s don't fit (stock 17s don't either), but it seems very likely from having looked at the clearance on my aftermarket 17s that 16s will fit.

Has anyone tried this? Please post your experiences.

-Chris Wood

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey i have 2 Kosei K1 Racing 16x9s! the other two were stolen. Free tires.
I would ask you if they fit on the front of your VR-4, but I already know they do. Even STOCK 16s will fit with 1G calipers (I have a friend who is doing just that for snow tires right now).

If stock 16s fit with 1G calipers, SOME aftermarket 16s must fit with 2G calipers (they aren't THAT much bigger). I'm more concerned about clearance of the caliper to the inside of the wheel - spokes vary enough that I could almost ceartainly find a design that works.

Anyone actually TRIED it?

-Chris Wood

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looking for some wrinkle wall slicks? or snow tires?
Snow tires, read the first line :p.

Anyone?

-Chris Wood

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I was thinking about the same thing, but I want 16" for the track.
Using a smaller wheel size is like lowering the gear ratio, also less weight .

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ver fer said:
I was thinking about the same thing, but I want 16" for the track.
Using a smaller wheel size is like lowering the gear ratio, also less weight .
The "less weight" I understand, but the wheel size does NOT effectively lower the gear ratio - the OVERALL size (wheel size + tire sidewall size) does. If I get 16s, they are going to be used with 225/55/16s, which have the same overall OD as 245/45/17s (or the 275/40/17s I will have later).

I'm still waiting on a reply, I'd rather not have to check this out myself because there are so many combinations to try (wheel make, spoke design, offset) that I'd rather find someone who KNOWS it works with a particular wheel (esp. if it is an inexpensive one).

-Chris Wood

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could always just remove the brakes. Then you wouldn't have a clearance problem.
I swear you have more posts poking fun of me than you do asking or answering serious questions. :p

Actually if I could cap off the front lines & remove the calipers that would be SO MUCH FUN in the snow - though quite unsafe. Doesn't work well with AWD either.

It is SNOWING - want to go sliding later?

·
One Shizz-rippin' M F
3,554 Posts
Multiades said:
It is SNOWING - want to go sliding later? [/B]

Well of course:D

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excellent!

Which cars? I think the Explorer is OK on a very even surface (none of that ice chunk stuff from the upper parking-lot). I'm out at 7, want to go after you work?

·
One Shizz-rippin' M F
3,554 Posts
Sounds good to me, the explorer is fine if you just ignore the horrible car falling apart noises.

·
3SX FTL
3,988 Posts
I'm in. We can go back to that huge lot and have those truck guys teach us how to understeer.

"Oooh! Look guys! An Explorer and a 540. We must understeer the fear into them. We must understeer them into submission."

Clint

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm in. We can go back to that huge lot and have those truck guys teach us how to understeer.
Yeah, I've never seen people that impaired in my entire life. How do you UNDERSTEER a PICKUP TRUCK on SNOW?!?

Anyhow, that sliding was so much fun. RWD Explorer + AWD Talon = FUN

Now back to your regularly scheduled posting.

-Chris Wood

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is anyone (ie. shop owner) in a position to test-fit an aftermarket 16" wheel on 2G TT (or a car with 2G TT brakes) and see where it interferes (if at all)?

Help with this would be appreciated, there is no easy way for me to find this out on my own.

-Chris Wood

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
one last bump

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I hadn't thought of that. Funny idea, but if it works, it works. Now if only my buddy was selling his stock 16s...

-Chris Wood

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brake "downgrade"...

I've got 2 full sets of 1st gen TT front brakes if you're interested.
Hans, you've got a PM.

Cost is of prime importance (it's a PITA to swap already). If I don't end up being able to get them cheap from you or someone else, I'm going to actually start test-fitting 16s (a pain, esp. in the cold).

The one thing I LIKE about going back to 1G brakes is that I could use stock 16s (probably cost a little less than cheap aftermarkets).

-Chris Wood

1 - 20 of 20 Posts