Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out whether to get a 95 vr4 for about 20k or should I get a 97 Z3 for the same price. Any input??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
97 Z3??!! I hope you are under 5'6" if you intend to fit in that little thing
is it a M?
you are asking on this board "Z3 or VR-4?" hehe

I SAY GO FOR THE VR-4... a Z3 is a chicks car! LOL

Matt Monett

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Really 2 different cars. The Z3 is a nice, trendy yuppie cruising car, the VR4 delivers brutal speed and handling in a sophisticated package. You decide.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Dude, you'll regret it when my mom pulls up next to you in her chrysler cirrus and takes you off the line! Cmon man. The 3000GT VR4 is such a head turner. The Z3 is like some bunched up cheap bmw people who want to look rich buy; so they buy the most crappy bmw on the market. The VR4 is so much more exotic and has more to offer! Thanks for listening

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
If you get a Z3 then opt only for the 2.8 liter or the M Roadster. Both way too expensive for what you'll get. I learned that a BMW is a status symbol in the States while here in Europe and Switzerland everyone above 20 (educated) can get a Z3. (1.8, 1.9 are looking pretty the same like the others). The Z3 is not very confortable, only a two seater (I recently had 3 ladies in my car, hihi), has no space anywhere (where do I put my snowboard in ?) and lacks of some look. Due to the many that are around here in Switzerland some of the Miata girls are getting a Z3.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I thought about it, and was really close in 1996. It was after my brother had totaled my 92 rt/tt and the timing belt had broken on my 94 RT. I was dis hartened I guess about the 3/S. The beamer drew me in. The price was right, under 26k for the 1.x liter, but it was a bmw...

Then I test drove it. It iwas not that much of a turtle..until I test drove the VR-4 down the street the following friday..

I drove the vr-4 home Saturday morning.

After my most recent accident, I did it again, went and looked at a BMW, then I drove my sister's vr-4 to work one morning and reminded myself that there is othing like the thrill of 300+ horses and awd to break the line with.

Just a slight admittance that I have thought about strying, but came to my senses.

Choose carefully.

Eric

·
Ultra Member
4,294 Posts
Eric,
Wasn't Hyannis or Danvers Mitsubishi able to get you a decently priced VR-4 at an auction?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to have a honda del sol VTEC, its like the Z3, 2 seater convertible, small car with a nice engine. After a year of owning the del sol I made the switch to the my RT-TT. I was able to cram 4 people (legaly) into it (and besides Asian are gennerally short). Also there's trunk room too consider, don't plan to move much with the Z3 also make sure all your friends don't ask you for rides cause you won't be giving any with it.

The convertible thing is nice. Opening up the car and driving in the sun is something everyone should experience at least once in life though unless you're at highway speed most of the time, I'd close up the car and turn on the aircon.

Its really easy to park the Z3, mind you once adverse weather condition come around the RWD is gonna be a pain, not mention what happens to the car an accident..

All in all, I don't regret owning my del sol, she handled well and was a lot of fun to drive. I get warm and fuzzy when I see other del sols on the road, and I turn black and hateful when I see Miatas

·
Registered
293 Posts
It's funny you pose this question. I had the same problem earlier this year. It was a choice between the Z3 and the 3000GT. I drove the Z. It is a nice car. It is very cramped, however. If you have ever sat in a Miata, it's only slighly larger. It is fast and handles well, but I decided that it wasn't what I was looking for. I went to the Mitsu dealer and saw the 3000GT (I actually went to check out the new Eclipse...it was the first day they came in). I decided after one look that the new Eclipse was not for me. The salesman said what about the 3000GT? I had always thought the 3000GT was out of my price range (the 99VR-4) but it was the same as the 2000 Z3. I said sure. I fell in love with the car and decided it was right for me. I love the new style. Although it isn't as fast as the Z3 (I have a 99 Base) I wouldn't trade cars...maybe for an M3 roadster if it was an even deal. Whether it be speed, style, or comfort I think the 3000GT VR-4 has it all over the Z3. Prestige-wise the 3000GT is not looked down apon in the yuppie realm either. My co-workers own awesome cars: a 2000 2.8 Z3, 1999, Boxter, 2000 Porche 911 C4, 99 Mercedes SL, and a Mercedes E500 (I have the least expensive of the bunch)and they can all appreciate my car. If you think that the 3000GT will be an aging dinasaur style-wise in a couple of years, just look at the RX-7, Supra, and 300ZX which have retained their great looks though they have all been discontinued for some time now in the US. In closing, go with the 3000GT, I think you will be surprised at how much more you will enjoy this car over the Z3. Thanks!

99 Red 3000GT
Westlake, Ohio

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to a club recently. My buddy has an M-roadster. At night, no one knows its an M- and with my chrome rims etc., I get all the attention and he has a big payment. There is no competition. VR4 wins hands down.

Sam 95 VR-4

·
Gig'em
268 Posts
Before I bought my '95 TT I test drove the 4 banger and 6 cyl Z3's. WOW! I was so dissapointed! With all the hype these cars have accumulated.... It was a real let down! The handling was OK at best. The power was...... well... basically nonexistant in both! When testing I tried clutch dumps, slipping, etc. and could barely get a tire to break... Pavement was even wet! As far as comfort..... Minimal! I even took it by some girlfriends of mine to see what they thought.... They said... "OH! What a CUTE car!" I definitly wasnt getting the car before then... Needless to say the "Cute" statement sealed the deal!

A few months later.... I can break loose all four 245-45-18's and the girls now say.. "D*mn.... thats a bad*ss car! Can I ride?"

You make the decision!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, if you're considering straying from the fold, why not look at the Honda S2000 while you're at it? [email protected] in a 2800 pound car (almost 50/50 weight distribution). (How do they get that much power out of a 2.0L 4-banger?!?!?! And if peak power is at 8300, then where does that little sucker redline?!?!?!)

I love my 3000GT/SL, but my Honda Prelude didn't cost a king's ransom to keep running. I'll be looking at the S2000 in a few years...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.