Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been a fan of the Deloreans for a loooonnnggg time ( ever since BTTF ive been hooked :D ) . Ive seen gull wing door modifications done to a VW actually this months like VW mag has one on the front cover. I was wondering if there was a place that does this ( i knowit would probbaly be quite expensive) or if someone has plans to do it. i think it would look really hot on a stealth... especially mine ;) i did see that one post about the lambo lookin doors and thats pretty nice, but i like the gull wing style better. thanks! oh and if anyone has the link to that lambo style door thread i cant seem to find it.

·
Pain. Made to order.
207 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
The doors would be a challenge to do but not impossible. I think they would look awsome. Think of all the possabilities with them. Keep us posted if you find any info on that .

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i might try it

i think i might at least attempt it.. see how difficult re-enforcing the upper part of the door would be and try to get some struts in there. kinda what the guy did to make his own lambo doors.. but that whole tread turned into maddess and i have NO idea whats going on with them anymore.

·
3Si Corporate Shareholder
3,784 Posts
Lambo doors would be better looking.

If you look at the old Mercedes Gullwings and the Delorians, the doors have a symmetry to them. The Delorean not so much as the Benz but that's how they acheive the look. The 3/S door is tapered from front to back.

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
it would be almost impossible to do that since we only have glass at the top of our doors. and they would have to be straight up and down to keep from hitting your head everytime you got in or out of your car (note: that the design of the delorians have that 45deg angle in them so that you dont knock your noggen every time....) If you wanna be different make Suiside doors..lots easier and I've not seen any on a 3S yet...

·
AWD rules
1994 3000GT SL TT ATX
4,543 Posts
with the gull wing doors, you could just pull up next to somebody in the parking lot, pop open your door and just whack that sucker's car next to you :p

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
Ha ha, suicide doors on a Stealth... I'd love to see that too. You'd have to forget ever using the backseat again though.

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
UTRacerX9 said:
Ha ha, suicide doors on a Stealth... I'd love to see that too. You'd have to forget ever using the backseat again though.
That wouldnt be a problem for me since I dont have one...:D

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
yea, anything is possible but it will cost a TON of money and even more if you do not do the work yourself. if you don't have a degree in or a very intimate knowledge of mechanical engineering, you will probably be in way over your head.

it would probably be easiest to scrap the stock doors entirely and remake the entire door (or at least most of it). and as said before, you probably don't want this for a daily driven car especially in a big city. the doors would swing WAY out and you would probably not be able to park in a parking garage ever again (amongst other places). i think the guy on the lambo doors thread said he had done it allready but he did it for light weight reasons only (i am not sure how the doors opening in this way makes them lighter though???). for future reference, the search button works very well and it would help you find things like where this guy was talking about how he had done these doors allready. good luck and welcome to the board.

·
-
6,794 Posts
Yeah you would have to build some kind of frame around the top of the door to even get started. I have seen some kind of car will gullwing doors that were actually two piece and hinged in the middle (by the bottom edge of the window), so the door actually folded in half when you opened it. That way, the door can still be opened in a tight parking space without banging the car next to it. If you were going to rebuild the entire door you could do this. It would be way to hard though so I say don't even try it. Maybe on a different car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
SLguy said:
with the gull wing doors, you could just pull up next to somebody in the parking lot, pop open your door and just whack that sucker's car next to you :p
Actually , gullwings open up as much as out, so they require
less space ....

·
Cow man moo?
1,966 Posts
pics or ban

1 - 20 of 195 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.