Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I remember seeing that i/c piping somewhere...hmm...oh, isn't that the altered atmosphere I/c piping? in dynamic racing site? how much is that thing? I want one TOO!!!! hope my stocks go up herehehehehe

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Nice but, what does this do for radiator airflow/temp?

·
This Space For Rent
59 Posts
Geez..

I guess that's one way to stop the Y-pipe from popping off.

B

·
0 Posts
Holy shi-, Batman!!

<sigh><*to self* ...need more money ...need more money ... need more mon...ee...>

hehe ...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The intercooler piping is custom made by Brian. You gotta see the quality of the welds! It's amazing. Also wherever there is a silicone hose connecting two pipes together, the ends are flanged.

As far as radiator air flow. There shouldn't be a problem. I road race the car. And the temp never when past the middle mark even on a hot summer day up in the desert (willow springs). So I expect the intercooler not to cause a problem. So far, temps have been normal but it hasn't been hot yet. I know others have done this mod before without any temp problems.

I plan on installing (this weekend) a dual temp intercooler temp guage so I can monitor air temps before and after the intercooler.

I have an alamo y-pipe and some custom hard pipes that was on the car before. I'll probably sell em... anyone intersted? I also have the stock intercoolers but the fins are pretty bent up. Don't know if anyone would want these.

As far as costs... it wasn't cheap.... but considering Alamo's dual intercooler with hard pipe kit's cost... The price of Brians setup makes sense. This is MUCH better quality and better flow.

Jose Soriano
[email protected]

·
Ex-VPC Headbanger
1,954 Posts
Will your old hard pipes work with stock intercoolers on a 91TT? If so, I would be interested.

V

·
0 Posts
It's a beautiful thing! How much HP are you squeezing out of that setup?
You have a custom front end/bumber, right?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
For the record, I do NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT use ANYONE elses stuff except MY own.. Ask Mike at Altered if I use or have even bough ANYTHING from him..!! (no offence Mike) I have had the front mount intercoolers out since late 1997 on many local/semi local customers cars, and I've had this basic design since then. Also for the record, Altered Atmosphere's I/C pipes at the coupling points are bent with pliers or something similar to make somewhat of a bead at the silicone couplers, whereas MY set-up uses BILLET machined coupling joints at ALL of the silicone joints, so there is a PRECISION fit and NO chance of a leak or blow off, and the pipes are SO precision, that they "butt-up" against eachother placing less stress on the silicone and enhancing airflow as well.. Also, MY kit has the stock BOV nipple in the stock location, whereas theirs does not. Jose's car EVEN runs a Greddy Type-R, yes a Type-R next to the 3" T/B pipe.. This WHOLE kit is a GT PRO ORIGINAL design.. Price has yet to be determined, and availability is yet to be determined, as to the custom nature of this product.. Persuade me to "mass produce em'", I need to see that there is REAL interest, as this kit is NOT easy to build, or cheap!!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Brian, this may be of interest of others too.
Does the IC fit with the front crash-bar or does it have to be removed ?

Later,
Roger

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
i am interested in one. let us know the performance gains and at least an idea of how much a setup like this will set me back$$!! looks awesome!! are we talk'n $3,000 or $10,000??????

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The system is going to be around the $3,000 range, and all the stuff you see here will be the same, like the ALL 6061 aluminum piping, billet spun ends, etc. etc. ONLY the BEST will do for you guys!!!

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
$3000 sounds good, I'm in if the performance gains are good.

what are my chances of dying (in an accident)with the front bar taken off compared to before

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
all the japanese spec cars have no front impact bar OR side impact bars in the doors either.. It's not a problem, the crush zones will do their job..

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Brian GT-Pro,
I don't mean any harm...I just thought I had seen that kit somewhere else. Again, I am sorry about the mix up...take care and I want one too!!! but can you drop down the price with a group purchase?????

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For those that asked about performance gains... I'm still running the stock turbos (so far... hehehe!) so my performance gain isn't that much. It seems better though... (butt dyno) even with my ailing turbos. I WAS going to install a dual temp intercooler guage last weekend, but I kinda got a little ripped at my companies' christmas party (at Barfly in Hollywood... open bar, free food, Hugh Hefner with the bunnies, Perfect 10 girls etc. need I say more.....) So Sunday, I ended up sleeping in till 6pm. So I'll try to do it soon. I'll post the results.

For those of you that are interested in the alamo y-pipe, stock intercoolers and custom hard pipe, here's the scoop. The intercoolers are in good shape but the fins are bent up. The hard pipes ARE NOT ANY brand. I believe they are custom. They work with the stock intercoolers. They are NOT polished. They are black. I was gonna take pics on Sunday.... but alas, I was too bent from Saturday night! I WILL take pics of all those items and I'll e-mail them to everyone that was interested in them.

Oh, yeah....Brian help me out here... an intercooler this massive is WAAAY overkill with stock turbos... correct? When you run larger turbos and turn up the boost... that's where a larger intercooler shines. Turbos compress and force air. When air (or anything) is compressed, heat is produced. With heat comes earlier detonation. An intercooler's job is to cool that air down. If the air is cooler, you can run more boost. Now, an intercooler super efficient at cooling air can be worthless if, by design of the core, piping and end tanks restricts flow too much. A good intercooler design allows for maximum flow with maximum cooling. (Did I get this right Brian?) Check out the pictures at top again. Look at the end tanks. Look at the large piping... etc. And I know that Brian only uses the best core. If anyone decides to purchase this... you won't be disapointed!

Jose Soriano
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Amahoser (edited December 20, 1999).]

·
Ex-VPC Headbanger
1,954 Posts
Anyone who is interested in larger intercoolers needs to keep in mind that there is a capacitance issue. It is going to take some time for boost from the turbos to fill that fish tank before the elevated flow gets to the intake. You know about turbo lag, now you will have intercooler lag. If you want max power, this may be a very good way to go. If you are looking for responsiveness, you may wish to rethink. This isn't a comment about Brian's design, just a general comment about large intercoolers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts