Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the GT355 turbos flow a little more than the 15G's. Now I know that 550cc injectors are typically used with the 15G's but will they be adequate for the GT355's? And would the 720cc be overkill? If so would something in between be a better choice. Anyone out there already running this setup? Thanks!

F

·
0 Posts
It depends on weather you are going to be MAXing out the turbos or just running 15-16psi with them
With 15G's or 355's I do not believe that 550's are big enough if you are maxing them out
I have seen EGT's go over 1000 c with 550's running at over 90IDS with 13G turbos maxed out
Also there are allot of cars out there that have leaned out and melted piston with 550&560cc injectors with 15G's
Therefor better safe than sary and go with 680-720cc injectors if you plan on running you 15g/355's to the max

Matt Monett www.dynamicracing1.com

D

·
0 Posts
550's will work fine. I was there for the fastest VR4 going 10.8. He had 15G's with 720's but the ONLY reason he went to 720's was because of the addition of nitrous. Before that maxed out 15G's w/550 injectors were getting mid 11's. EGT's got a little high towards the end of a run, but 720's w/o juice almost hindered performance more than helping it.
Del

F

·
0 Posts
Jack has stated that he never MAXed out his 15G's... ask him he will tell you.
let me see if I can find the post he put on the mailing list telling every1 that he never maxed them out

550's at 80% IDS can only flow for about 508HP and at 90% IDS about 572HP
to push a 4000lb car to a 11.3sec run @ over 125MPH with the drive train loss we have, the car must be making over 600HP at the FW!

if 550's were good fore over 600hp the Supra guys would never change there injectors

It is safer to go with the bigger injectors and keep the IDS lower

I can understand if you are using a VPC why you would not want to use the 720's (stalling everytime you stop with the AC on) but with the ARC-2 720's run the same as the 550's do

Matt Myer leaned out and melted his pistons with 560's and 15G's (I am shore he would be glad to tell you all about it)

Matt Monett

[This message has been edited by FastMatt (edited January 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Okay, I guess I must interject here as it is my GT355's that are being discussed. Through some data logging it was found that 550cc injectors are having trouble keeping up with the 13G's maxed out and ECU tuning along with other mods. With this in mind there is going to be problems for guys really leaning hard on the GT355's as they are NOT 15G's or 13G's for that matter. If anyone plans on going GT355's, and REALLY leaning on the car and cranking up the boost and timing curve etc., I will have to agree with Matt and say that 680cc-720cc will be a good way to go. If you use an ARC2-GP, you will be able to control the 680-720cc injectors, no problem.. The point is, not to max out your IDC, as this is not a good thing to do. I like to keep IDC at a respectable level for safety..

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Brian, do these turbos have much lag? Is it absolutely necessary to change intercoolers to run them? With 720cc injectors and an Arc2, how driveable is this set-up as its a daily driven vehicle? Is there a huge power increase even if I do not boost much past 15 PSI? Does the intake and heads have to be ported to allow for that much flow?

Sam 95 VR4
FIPK, Apex AVCr type R, Stillen DP, HKS BOV, Greddy TT, A-pillar boost gauge, NGKr at .038

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Just an add-on a lot people forget. A good turbocharger with a well designed compressor wheel does result in less discharge heat than others. Additionally a good intercooling and water injection help to reduce this temperature. Now with bigger turbos you may be able to run the 15psi but there is more air fed in. Therefore it is possible to calculate the necessary fuel.

Increasing boost increases the danger for detonation even under rich conditions. I noticed a heavy difference in knock between 0.90V or 0.94V at the O2 sensors under WOT. Rich was just not rich enough and tuning the cars in must therefore run into rich-rich conditions to be on the safe side. Our engines need this to avoid knock. And without additional intake cooling like WI or anything else there will be alot of fuel needed just to cool down the chamber. This fuel will also not be burnt well and is therefore wasted
Therefore, when one must dump in fuel the power calculation is not valid anymore.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Without all the technicalities, can we just post 0-60 and 1/4 times for the 15g, 17g, and GT355? I think that would help all the novices...myself included.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
KG Brings up a good point....I've NEVER even seen a timeslip for a car with 17G's or 355's. Why is that?

Trevor
96 R/T TT
92 GMC Typhoon

On second thought I have seen timeslips for 17G's. Every stock Syclone and Typhoon has one!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Not all of my customers are drag racers, that is why!! majority of them are older "well to do" gentlemen who just want some excitement!! I CAN tell you that NONE of them have lost a street/highway race yet!!don't worry, i think Hendrick LordDVD plans on dragging his car, also Brad Bedell's car will be done soon with GT368's and he will drag his car! He is # 3 fastest right now, even with a TOTTALLY slipping clutch!! Yes, he did his time with a slipping clutch!! Wait for his new set-up with the ARC2-GP and 368's!! Watch out!!

L

·
0 Posts
Brain care to bulid me a set of your 399TR??
I'm getting bored with my car already

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
hendrick,
I hate seeing your car in the shop again...but I am very power hungry and knowing what you car is capable of with the 355GT...MoVE ON!!!! to 399GTs!!! heheheheeheheh that will kick A LOT OF ASSS!!! hgeheheheeh DO it!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts