Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got all the nuts off the downpipe and cat easy enough, but I can't seem to pull the sucker off.

I have the 2 nuts off the front precat connecting to the downpipe off, the 2 nuts from the rear precat connecting to the T of the downpipe off, the rear 2 bolts of the main cat which connect to the exhaust, and the supporting bracket bolt. However, I can't wiggle and jiggle the downpipe to remove it because when i try to pull it back towards the rear of the car it gets stuck against the frame right behind the T of the downpipe so it doesn't go back. See the attached pic...

I also tried dropping front part of the downpipe, but I cant because of the screws through the flange of the front precat which goes into the downpipe.

Any idea how I can pull the sucker out? I have the hard part done already, all the rusty nuts and bolts.

Thanks

Edit: See attached pic in Next Post

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the pic. Notice the lip on the frame, I can't get the darn pipe past that.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
try removing the front precat. there are 2 nuts on the front (top). you can just loosen it a lot, and that might give you enough room, or just remove it. it gives the whole downpipe more room to maneuver. (it won't have to be pulled backwards)

·
*Insert Evil Laughter*
3,141 Posts
Your problem probably lies in trying to take it off all in one piece.. the front precat that comes off with the downpipe can be removed all by itself... you could try that... funny thing is.. I recently gutted my cats and I took off the pipe with the front cat still attached... I pulled straight down.. and I don't know... but it came off easy... just try taking it off with the front cat unattached. Hope I understood right.

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Get a big screwdriver or pry bar and insert it between the DP flange and the cat back flange and work it loose. Original pipe of mine was stuck somewhat to the factory catback, but when mine came loose from the cat back the whole thing fell off the car in one piece. (front precat, main cat dp)

Lord Warlock

·
Jordan
3,031 Posts
jrink, i'm going to be in your situation as soon as Don sends me back the new dnperformance downpipe. But good luck, thanks again for helping me install my hks type 1 tt. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about taking off the front precat, seems like an easy solution. However, I stopped short because I thought I'd need another gasket where it meets the turbo if I take off the precat? I'm sure the old one would be shot. Is that true?

·
Registered
715 Posts
unhook some of the hangers on the catback
then remove the bolts from the top of the front precat (like someone said) btw, a 4-way tire tool works well for this :D
the gaskets are pretty rugged, i've removed it at least 4 times so far

then you have plenty of room to manuver the whole piping around

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool. Thanks guys. I almost took off the front precat last night, but the gasket thing concerned me.

*IF* the gasket is toast and can't be reused, is there anything else I can use in place of the gasket if I don't have a spare (I don't) ready? Some type of gasket-like compound or whatever?

I'm going to assume not having any gasket between the precat and turbo is a very bad idea... ?

·
Registered
715 Posts
in that case just swap with one off of some other exhaust part temporarily - maybe the one where the front precat connects to the DP. its just your normal exhaust gasket with a metal liner around the hole

·
*Insert Evil Laughter*
3,141 Posts
I believe Lord Worlack has it... Is your DP still connected to your main cat? It should break free of it once the bolts are off.. if not.. that is your problem and you need to breake it free... as for the gasket... either go get one from Mitsu (best), reuse your old one (easiest) or I do believe they have gaskets at Kragen or whatever that you can cut to size... just make sure it is one designed for exhaust... not sure if they have them.... but from the sound of things... I'd say you have to break it free from the main cat. It does come out reall easily... so something isn't right.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe Lord Worlack has it... Is your DP still connected to your main cat? It should break free of it once the bolts are off.. if not.. that is your problem and you need to breake it free... as for the gasket... either go get one from Mitsu (best), reuse your old one (easiest) or I do believe they have gaskets at Kragen or whatever that you can cut to size... just make sure it is one designed for exhaust... not sure if they have them.... but from the sound of things... I'd say you have to break it free from the main cat. It does come out reall easily... so something isn't right
The problem isn't with getting the downpipe away from the main cat. Everything back from the T of the downpipe is removed without a problem already. The catch is that the downpipe had gotten stuck because it wouldn't pull down as a result of the flange screws from where the front precat meets the downpipe, and it wouldnt pull back because of the car's frame right behind the T.

When I yank the front precat, it should come right down.

Appreciate all the responses.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
As someone who's removed the dp numerous times in the last few weeks I'll add my two cents. The front precat doesn't have to be completely unbolted just loosen it up a bunch and you'll have room to manuever the dp out.

·
*Insert Evil Laughter*
3,141 Posts
I wonder if the stealths are different from the 3000's. maybe a piece of the frame down there... mine came off so easy .. that's why I thought there might be something different.:confused:

·
The Reality Of Tomorrow
213 Posts
jrink,

You have to do what others are telling you... remove the front precat with the downpipe. You can goto your local parts store and buy some liquid gasket as a temporary fix until you can get a new one from Dodge/Mitsu.

I installed mine today without any problems, it fit wonderfully. It's all about the flex section :)

-m

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damn, that front precat is a pain to get off. I'm not having much luck. Spraying the hell out of it with PB Blaster, gonna let it sit for another hour before I try it again. Can't even break the nuts loose yet.

·
Registered
715 Posts
jrink said:
Damn, that front precat is a pain to get off. I'm not having much luck. Spraying the hell out of it with PB Blaster, gonna let it sit for another hour before I try it again. Can't even break the nuts loose yet.
exactly why I stuck my 4-way up in there :p:p
gives you a great deal of leverage, and at least one of the sockets should fit well enough

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
I soaked all of mine in wd40 the night before working on it and let it sit for about 10 hours before trying to loosen anything. Then used my impact wrench with the compressor, and all the bolts slid off effortlessly borrow a friends or take it to a shop and have them loosen the nuts for you.

LW

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2 words.

Breaker Bar

Problem solved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.