Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently installed the Ninjaperformance coilovers. They're groaning and clunking when I turn the wheel, moving or not. Sounds like I'd imagine spring bind to sound like. Is there a way to fix this or do I need to pull and reinstall the coilovers?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,244 Posts
From a quick Google search (what could go wrong? LOL) , the first response was "lack of lubrication, spray lubricants like lithium grease and the like????

No suggestions on the Ninja site?

I apologize for being worthless, I am now retired and getting better at it!!!!

Bob. :)

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,111 Posts
Bob is correct lol. My first thought is grease for the pillow ball top mount. Some people will go beyond and "treat" the threads of the body for collars and perches for springs.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,244 Posts
Alan, thanks for keeping my senility in check...

Bob. :)

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,111 Posts
If it is due to preload, then it would need to be rather excessive haha but yes... I would assume most people stick to near zero to maintain a decent ride quality and not blindly adding without reason, purpose, or data.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd quote everyone but it's alot of quotes.

Yes, I did do a quick Google search, but it all seemed to be for old coilovers not fresh installs.

No, I didn't mess with preload. All documents said it was set from factory, so why would I mess with it if I wasn't tuning for racing?

I didn't lubricate anything. Is there a way to lube it without fully dropping them from the front of the car?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd quote everyone but it's alot of quotes.

Yes, I did do a quick Google search, but it all seemed to be for old coilovers not fresh installs.

No, I didn't mess with preload. All documents said it was set from factory, so why would I mess with it if I wasn't tuning for racing?

I didn't lubricate anything. Is there a way to lube it without fully dropping them from the front of the car?

Doesn't sound like you did anything but installed them. I've never not have to set preload on any coilover I've had in the past. They are never pre-set and ready to go. But then again, I usually starts with anti-seizing the whole thread body, lithium greasing anything that moves, then doing the same for parts that are affected with new coilovers.

Maybe ninjaperformance does this specifically for our cars, I don't know. Good luck with this issue, hopefully you get it figured out.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,295 Posts
Preload is necessary and adjustable for two reasons......
1.) a minimum of preload keeps the spring in perches when the suspension is unloaded
2.) positions the strut in the area of stroke desired at static ride height

The springs, hold the car up at static. So if you have a 3800lb car with 55% on the front, you have 1,045lbs on each front corner. A 500lb/in spring will compress 2" at static. If you have a 4" stroke strut, you start right in the middle with just enough preload to hold spring. 1" preload would put the strut at the top 3/4 of stroke with 1" in the body and 3" sticking out.

A 1000lb/in spring would only compress 1" at static. If you want to start in the middle of stroke, you would have to have to drop the spring down where spring is completely loose and that's when you run a helper spring to keep the spring in the perches.

Or you can go lighter, run a 250lb spring and have 4" of compression at static, run more preload to set static stroke where you want it and beef up your anti roll bars if you want to control body roll.

Compression and rebound tuning is critical in all of the above too.

On my car (rwd converted), I am switching to a 162lb spring on 6.7" stroke struts (adapted from a different car). my car weight puts each spring compression at 5.4". I will add 1" of preload to get the shaft ~4.4" down in the strut and allow 4.4" of upward travel on a launch for weight transfer to rear.

Preload can be used to set ride height also, but keep in mind it changes where you start in the stroke of the strut. Each corner of the car weights a little different. So you corner balancing with ride height and preload will affect where you end up in the stroke. It's a "fun" process to get corner balance where you want it and the strokes even.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,295 Posts
As for the noises. Get radial bearings.

or take it all apart and do as said above with grease etc and be prepared to do it again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts