Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started my car this moring i heard a grinding sond comming from the under the hood. It the same sound as when you turn the key while the car is on already. could it be the starter? thanks

·
Detroit RiceCop
659 Posts
I get the same thing, especially on cold mornings. It's in the tranny for sure but it doesn't seem to be ruining anything. It goes away when you press the clutch in. It's either the throw-out bearing or clutch bell related I think.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If it goes away right after starting, ie lasts a coupla secs immediately after starting then it might be the starter. I just replaced mine when it started doing the same thing, try and get someone to put their head underneath the car while you start it up, if it comes from the starter, passenger side, then it's probably the starter, hope this helps! :)

·
Booooossstt
6,788 Posts
its most likely the starter when they start gettin worn out they stop releasin at the proper times get this changed as soon as possible b/c if you keep lettin it grind then you will start breakin teeth off of your flywheel.
sean

·
Registered
832 Posts
I once had a similar sound, it was when the car was cold, but heres the kicker....it did it simply when I turned the ignition on, even when the car wasn't ruining. I doesn't do it anymore, but I really wonder what the hell it could have been. I'm pretty sure that it was coming from somewhere in the engine bay, but it doesn't do it anymore, and I can't remember when it stopped, but it could have been when I got a new ecu. Anyone know what the sound is from?

Also, I kinda compare the sound to like an old computer's noise. Like when its under a lot of load and makes kinda clicking noise, only mine was more like a grinding noise.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

I think I'm going to look into replacing the starter then. Because the day before I started to hear the noise I accidentally tried to start it while the car was already on. Is it hard to replace the starter? $? thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts