Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I beleave my car is equiped with ABS. The problem I'm having is when it snows and I apply the brakes, they seem to lock up and I get an intermitant grinding soud and pulse feeling from the brake. On a dry surface the car brakes fine but when it's slick out grinding and pulsing occurs. Can someone tell me if my ABS is going out or if this is normal.

Please give me some advise.

95 R/T TT

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
You do have ABS.. I have the same problem in my 93 ES, and nobody has yet to diagnose the problem.. it hasn't happened in a while, but when it does, it sounds like #*[email protected]

Hopefully someone has an answer..

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
You do have ABS.. I have the same problem in my 93 ES, and nobody has yet to diagnose the problem.. it hasn't happened in a while, but when it does, it sounds like #*[email protected]

Hopefully someone has an answer..

-LDG
93 Stealth ES

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I don't see why this is an ABS problem. If you are still getting the pulsation during hard, slick stops, its working. Grinding? Have you looked at your pads and rotors lately? Lets not overhype ABS, its basically just a really fast pump, that pumps hydraulic fluid much faster than your foot ever could, to prevent lock up.
Disconnect your ABS relay, and your brakes should work like normal non-ABS brakes. If it still does it, then its not the ABS. I know of a few people with these cars that disconnected the ABS cuz they don't like it.

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited January 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I should be more specific. The noise and feeling ONLY occurs when it is slick out and the brakes are able to lock up. When this happens I get the noise and feeling. Beleive me when I say I know the feeling of warped rotors and bad pads. The gringing feeling is almost that of a loud clicking sound and you can feel it in the pedal, it will vibrate your leg.

Diablo, I will try and pull the ABS relay sometime this week to see if that works. I'll let you all know what I find.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hello!
I had a grinding/pulsing on my brakes,(92 ES-no ABS)
Went down to mechanic,he took a look at it ,and figured out ,it was the rotors.
Replaced all four ,
and all pads >>>>>>>>
grinding/pulsing gone.

That may be your problem,but I may be wrong.

milan
92 ES

G

·
The sound you hear and the pulsation in the pedal are absolutely normal, and serve as feedback to tell you that the ABS is working. That is also why you only get this feedback on slick road surfaces.

G

·
I have a question concerning ABS. When I purchased my 97 SL the car came without ABS(per my request). When I look in the fuse box under the hood I can see a vacant spot where the ABS relay would go. My question is this...is this the only component missing to activate the ABS or is there more to it than that?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
i had the same thing in my 91 3000 tt, grinding sound when the brakes were skiping around on ice. Well sad to say my abs pump went out about four months later. Well i got a new pump and i took apart my old pump to see what went wrong well all the magnets came lose and got shreded lots of rust also inside the motor needless to say i wraped my new abs pump motor with plastic because the reason the magnets came lose was the rust .If no water gets in no rust . if i could only find another motor that fits the ony diferance between that and a regular 12 volt motor is that the end of the armeture is slightly groung off set .not comlicated also not worth the 1700 i was quoted from the dealer i got a used one from brian at gt pro checked it out no rust got to love those west coast parts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.