Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a couple of issues, and im just getting started with a real sports car, so maybe you guys can help me

first, i just installed my K&N intake, my first mod, and we had the hood open listening to the car, so when we were thru, my friend shut it off, and it made this grinding type noise. i had never heard it before, so of course, i assumed it had something to do with the K&N install. it doesnt happen right when i turn the key to off, but just after the engine stops moving. does anyone know what i mean? or has had this problem?

next, my oil pressure gauge is always on the low end, never rising above that first large line, and when i am idling at a light, its on the "L". it also doesnt seem to go down to the bottom of the gauge when i shut off the car like the others do, so it may be broken.

and my check engine light is on and i dont know why. i could really use your help guys. my dad and step dad dont know imports, so they really cant help much. thanks in advance.

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
I would recomend you take it to a shop and have them hook it up to a scan tool. Since your check engine light is on, it will spit out the codes and will tell you why.
We charge 15 bucks to do it here
-Jess

·
Why does everyone argue?
1,302 Posts
Hi.. I think I know the noise you are talking about. It is not a gringing, but in fact, if you listed close enough, it is actually a gurgling sound, almost like water and air being sucked through a straw. this noise seems to be coming from the throttle body area, correct? I am not 100% sure what it is, but I can tell you this, it is nothing to worry about. I have owned 3 3000GT's or various models and years, and seen many others, they ALL did it, including my newest 95 VR-4. I believe that it is either air being forced back out of the throttle butterfly as the engine stops and the pistons rock back, or it also may be the valve in the throttle body coolant chamber. (see the hoses attached to the bottom of the throttle body?) those are coolant hases, and the noise may be attributed to a 1-way valve in them that shutters when the pump stops.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, that is the exact noise its making, its like air rushing back out of sumthing. i usually only listen to it when im in the cabin shutting off the car, but the more i hear it, the more thats what it sounds like, thanks. and i am getting it checked out monday to see whatsup with my oil pressure and check engine light. thanks guys.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Same Sound

I have the same sound eminating from mine when I kill my engine too; it became more noticable once I installed my K&N as well. Nothing to worry about.

Lee

1 - 5 of 5 Posts