Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the paper today and saw, I believe, a 93 3000GT that said it was pearl grey... I know it was a first gen and think it's 1993, but I've never seen one that color - was it a factory color? I thought the only colors were red, green, yellow, white, and black (not including the rare colors like the electric blue or whatever it is for Stealths).

-KingNothing

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I beleive you mean Sandstone Grey Metallic.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yes, that is the color for 1993 Sandstone Grey Metallic, thats just like my car, check it out in the for sale section titled: "1993 VR-4 Very Rare" i have pictures there if you want to see what the color looks like.

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
Why do I have the strong craving for Earl Grey tea?

·
Sport Leisure
1,110 Posts
it could be either the sandstone gray, or pearl white.. i've seen pearl white stealths and GTs referred to as gray many times (ignorant owners).. i cant figure out why either.. pearl white doesnt look the least bit gray..

·
Dog Is My Co-Pilot
4,082 Posts
akira410 said:
Why do I have the strong craving for Earl Grey tea?
[Picard] Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.[/Picard]

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts

·
Mod O' Day Pron
4,021 Posts
KingNothing

Here is my 91 VR4. Is this the color you are looking at. I may be wrong, but I thought the GTO factory color was Sandstone Grey and the American factory color was called Nairobi Beige. Here's a pic!

Sean

Attachments

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
Sean -

I know where that car is in the attached pic. That's the spot that ate my 2nd gear syncro. You snapped that pic at 411, didn't you? ;)

Sorry, I have nothing to add, just that I recognized the area you took the pic in. :)

·
Mod O' Day Pron
4,021 Posts
Hey UKYO

Yeah, that would be the spot :) at 411. Good to hear from ya. So, any upgrades by this spring's racing? I have a few ideas I'm toying with, can't say though :D Have to wait & see... Later!

Sean

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
Re: Hey UKYO

Sean Johnson said:
Yeah, that would be the spot :) at 411. Good to hear from ya. So, any upgrades by this spring's racing? I have a few ideas I'm toying with, can't say though :D Have to wait & see... Later!

Sean
I thought so. That drag strip will forever hold a place in my memories... :(

Plans for my car for next spring:

• 1 - Get the tranny fixed. All other mods are on hold until the car can be ran as it should be.
  • 2 - Proper install of boost and A/F gauges on A pillar
  • 3 - 450cc injectors and some simple fuel control. Hoping for 16 - 18 psi spikes while holding more than ~12 psi to red line.
  • 4 - High 7 second 1/8 mile pass which will give me a solid mid to high 12.
After that then who knows. Once I can pull at least 2 12 second runs I'll have to make up my mind if I want the car to go any faster.

I've also got a little red Eclipse that needs some speed injection. Maybe I'll make it a season thing. One season main focus on the VR-4, one season main focus on the Eclipse. I'm still holding out hope that I can get the GSX in to the 14s without any serious money invested. Same thing with the VR-4, but it's looking for 12s. ;)

·
Sport Leisure
1,110 Posts
Re: KingNothing

Sean Johnson said:
Here is my 91 VR4. Is this the color you are looking at. I may be wrong, but I thought the GTO factory color was Sandstone Grey and the American factory color was called Nairobi Beige. Here's a pic!

Sean

nairobi beige and sandstone gray are not the same color.. yours is beige metallic, while the sandstone is a dark gunmetal color.. nice car btw..

·
Mod O' Day Pron
4,021 Posts
BusyGT

I guess I'll have to change that to Beige Metallic under my user name :eek: Thanks for the heads up! Is my car color considered to be rare? I haven't seen any others around.

Sean

Attachments

·
Sport Leisure
1,110 Posts
Re: BusyGT

Sean Johnson said:
I guess I'll have to change that to Beige Metallic under my user name :eek: Thanks for the heads up! Is my car color considered to be rare? I haven't seen any others around.

Sean

oops.. no dont change it.. your color very well could be called Nairobi beige.. i was just trying to distinguish that your color is a metallic beige (thats what i meant to say), kind of a gold color, while the sandstone is a dark gunmetal color.. sorry about the confusion ;)

btw your color is rare.. ive only seen 3 GTs that color, and one was a custompaint job.. stealths came in a similar ( or same) color, i believe it was called champagne gold, or champagne something.. it looks great! ;)

·
Official 3SI Mouth
2,168 Posts
"it could be either the sandstone gray, or pearl white.. i've seen pearl white stealths and GTs referred to as gray many times (ignorant owners).."

Ignorance has nothing to do with calling a color as it comes on their dealer sticker. Until 95, the color was designated as "Grayish White Pearl". After, it was "Galaxy White Pearl". Same mix of paint in the three part process, different name. White is a hue devoid of chromatic influence. Anything else is classified as a Gray. By color theory, they're all Grayish White Pearl. But then, that'd be reversing the role of the ignorant.

"pearl white doesnt look the least bit gray.."

Like hell it doesn't. Try a different angle or in different light.

-K

·
Sport Leisure
1,110 Posts
Kenneth Ellis said:
"it could be either the sandstone gray, or pearl white.. i've seen pearl white stealths and GTs referred to as gray many times (ignorant owners).."

Ignorance has nothing to do with calling a color as it comes on their dealer sticker. Until 95, the color was designated as "Grayish White Pearl". After, it was "Galaxy White Pearl". Same mix of paint in the three part process, different name. White is a hue devoid of chromatic influence. Anything else is classified as a Gray. By color theory, they're all Grayish White Pearl. But then, that'd be reversing the role of the ignorant.

"pearl white doesnt look the least bit gray.."

Like hell it doesn't. Try a different angle or in different light.

-K

i have a pearl white GT.. on my window sticker, the color is called "glacier white pearl".. and in my opinion it doesnt look gray at all.. it all depends on lighting, and since it is white it easily takes on the hue of that lighting.. for instance if it might look blue in twilight after sunset, or orange/gold during sunset.. ive personally never seen it look gray.. it's very metallic and has lots of goldish flecks in the paint.. maybe it was unfair of me to say "ignorant owners".. i meant to say ignorant sellers or ignorant dealers, since i have seen in many classifieds ads, these pearl white 3/s's referred to as being gray..

·
Official 3SI Mouth
2,168 Posts
"i meant to say ignorant sellers or ignorant dealers, since i have seen in many classifieds ads, these pearl white 3/s's referred to as being gray.."

Your brain is refusing to make the connection. If the dealer sticker, from when the car was made, and installed on the window, when the car was completed at Nagoya, and the color code, by year, in the Mitsubishi naming for that year, states a car as Grayish White Pearl, that is EXACTLY what people can and will call it. We KNOW it to be "A" pearl white color. And it's the same color. But not everybody's sticker said the same color, and not everyone is going to refer to it as the same because of that.

You want to talk ignorance, look at the tards on Autotrader calling the pearl white color series SILVER of all things. Now THAT is ignorance. But referring to a car as "Pearl Gray", because it was exactly what the factory called it, versus what the consensus calls it to make life easier, is simply perpetuating the name it was originally given.

-K

·
Sport Leisure
1,110 Posts
ok i apologize.. ive never hear the manufacturer referring to it as a pearl gray color.. if people, like you, who know what they're talking about, and know the history of the colors name, call it pearl gray, thats fine.. but the people on autotrader or whatever dont know what they're talking about, and that is why i call them ignorant.. you must admit, it is true..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts