Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the unit last weekend and it has been working great. I bought it off of an individual and after hooking it up, it was ready for boosting. I didn't go through the P1 and P2 learning modes until yesterday. I tried the first method for the learning modes and kept getting the "EE" message so I went through the alternate learning route. Everything went the way it was supposed to according to the instructions, but now the unit doesn't want to hold boost pressure like it did before I programmed it. I have it set for 1.1 bar and it will go up to that and at 5K it drops to stock boost level, 0.6 bar. It's really pissing me off because before I programmed it, it would hold 1.1 bar to redline. The turbo's are not stock, they are 13g's. Why the fuck did I go through the programming shit in the first place? Guess 'cause I thought that it might be best to have it programmed specifically for my car. (or I'm a fuckin' idiot!!!) Has anyone with a ProfecA had this problem? Lookin' for some help. Thanks in advance.

·
Running With Scissors
2,654 Posts
I would try going through the P1 and P2 modes again. Try a lower gear like 2nd. That's how I programmed min, and even on stock turbos, it will hold 1BAR pretty much all the way to redline. It's a PITA to tune the Profec sometimes, but the unit seems to have less problems, and hold boost better than other controllers once it is actually set up.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Speeyuk. I'll be trying that. I should have just left well enough alone.

·
Running With Scissors
2,654 Posts
You're welcome. And, I know how you feel. That's my worst fear about the Profec A. That is, trying to re-learn it and have it give me problems. I was so pissed one time, 'cause a friend of mine bought one, and his learned perfectly the first time we tried. :mad: Mine, on the other hand, took about 30 min of driving around looking out for cops. :D I finally got it to go by using pulls in 2nd gear. Hope everything works out for ya.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The funny thing is that it was working perfectly before I went screwing with it. After the installation, I thought that something was wrong with it because it didn't go into P1 mode. It just worked, so I drove it and it ran excellent. Then last night, me and my dumb ass start thinking that I may get another million horses out of it if I go through the learning process. I learned something. Don't mess with it if it aint broke. I'm still kickin' myself in the ass. I just hope that I don't run into someone that wants to race on the way home from work. Earlier this week I posted a kill about ass raping a C5 by 9-10 lengths to 120mph. Hope I don't have to post tonight about getting whooped up on by a Geo Metro.:)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it going right again:):):):) I have two sets of instructions and thought that both were the same, but the set that I didn't use has a different "alternate learning procedure". I ran P1 in second gear like you suggested, then went to P2. When P2 lit up, I held the OTB button for 5 seconds, then ran another run in second up to redline. Shifted to third and looked down and the Profec was reading vacuum. Downshifted to second and punched it and it hit 17psi and stayed there. Came to a stop, then took off like a bat out of hell. First gear held 17psi, second held 17psi and third held 17psi. Tried it again with the same results. One more time, same results. Drove home haulin' ass all over the place happier than a pig in shit again:) I might not have been in the boat I was in if I had tried the OTB P2 learning procedure, but the other alternative learning procedure is completely different and is the one I had in the car with me. I appreciate your help and quick responses Speeyuk.

·
Running With Scissors
2,654 Posts
Sure thing man. I'm glad you got it working. Sounds like your car can freakin move! :D Would you mind explaining the procedure you used? I got my Profec second hand too, and don't have the instructions. I've just been doing it the way you were before.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds to get the unit to go into P1 mode. Make your run. Press the power switch to go into P2 mode, but instead of making a run right now, press and hold the OTB button for 5 seconds. (I didn't notice anything happen after the 5 seconds like a beep or flash or something). After releasing the OTB button, run it. I ran mine in second like you suggested and then switched to third before looking at the Profec. Since it was acting like a gauge, I decided to give it hell and low and behold, it worked.:) Every time that I tried it before this alternate method, I would get "EE" EVERY time in P2. The manual says that the second alternate method allows the unit to be manually programmed by using the OTB button. The newer manual also has more explanation of the dip switches on the back of the unit. For instance, the first thing I tried was to put switch 4 in the "on" position. The manual says that if "boost falls off" to try this. It seemed to help only if I started to get on it in second. It would hold the boost, but if I got on it hard from first, with a quick shift to second it would start dropping. After that, I went with the second alternate method and it worked like a charm on the first try. Here's a copy of the latest manual. I'm throwing the other manual in the garbage.
http://www.greddy.com/technical/pdf/profecA.pdf
Car is back to runnin' like a raped ape:D :D

·
Norcal 3S! Norcal3S.com
1,069 Posts
profec A

I have this bc as well and it has been by far a great investment. It doesn't look all pretty like alot of the others but from what I've heard from other people that use them besides myself its the most stable bc and one of the best at holding boost more consistently then alot of the others. I had the same problems you guys did in programing it. Once I did it from 2nd it was fine. To this day I have never overboosted or lost any significant boost. Great unit. I highly recommend it. Btw thanks for that manual. I have the shitty old one.

Matt

·
VA Turbo
1,264 Posts
What did you guys pay for the unit second hand?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid 260.00 and the unit was barely used at all.

·
Running With Scissors
2,654 Posts
Same here. Got a great deal on thepartstrader.com $250 + shipping. You can usually find them on there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts