Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Clinton and Gore were trying to force us into little cars with great fuel economy, is that over now that Bush is in office or is there still a push for that?
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
push into small car?? i don't know about your area but damn there is alot of SUV between teh year of 1993-2000

·
baloney sammitch!
308 Posts
nah, i think its the california air regulation guy...or whatever...he's real anal about air regulations, so he told the car companies to have electric cars by 2003...seems its not happening any time soon...:D ...even tho our projected fuel resources are suppose to go out in 20-30yrs...oh well...

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it was something that Gore was pushing for and was going to try to enforce if he was voted into office. This would affect not only SUV's but all of us car nut guys as well. Does anyone have any info on this or links that I could go to?
Thanks

·
2,248 Posts
Bush = heavy investments and many friends in Oil Cartel
Oil Cartel = loves SUVs and other gas guzzlers

Bush = loves SUVs and other gas guzzlers.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
what aerosly said, Bush is an oil man, big fast cars r good for business :)

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's not the case with Clinton and Gore right?

Does anyone have any info or links regarding any of that? I have to give a speech for school on something that I have an opinion on and that's all I can think of right now.

Thanks,
Player

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
I hate to tell you guys..but the government and the automakers have already begun this process subliminally. I mean REALLY take a look at the cars out there. True perfomance sports cars have been discontinued by many automakers (the Supra, VR4, 300z, rx7) and many are slated for the chopping block (F-body) soon to be replaced by a small engine "buzz buckets". The TRUE sports cars remaining (Corvette) are so expensive that only the wealthy can afford them. Same goes with SUV's.....LOOK at the trend. ALL automakers of SUV's have their "guzzler" SUV....but they also (esp Toyota) have many SUV "like" vehicles which blur the lines between SUV and big wagon (Ford Escape, CRV, Rav4 and Hyundai Santa Fe which most insurance companies rate as a CAR not an SUV). THe original SUV's are getting so rediculous in price (and the gas prices had for a while gotten rediculouslly high as well) that the smaller, less powerful, and marginally less expensive mini-suv has become MUCH more popular. As sales of the "guzzlers" diminish...they will slowly disappear into extinction. Most of the new cars today IMO are underpowered and ugly as hell....but your choice is so narrowed down, you really aren't picking the car you WANT...but the best one AVAILABLE for the price you can afford. Mark my words....10 years down the road, you won't be able to TOUCH a real power machine and all that will be out there are the 4 & 6 cylinder FWD shitboxes....and the newer generations won't have any comparison so they will accept them as "cool" and "fast" which those of us who remember the REALLY cool and REALLY fast cars of the 60's will know they CERTAINLY are neither. That is why I will likely never buy a NEW car...there is nothing out there I really like....especially for half of my f#*king annual salary! After the gas crunch of the 70's, remember the shit cars we were forced to drive in the 70's/early 80's? Chevy Monza, early cavalier, CHEVETTE, Citation (welcome to FWD U.S.), Pinto, the 4 cyl MUSTANG, and I'm not gonna even START on Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth. Well, we recovered SLIGHTLY from those horrible days...but the glory days of the real muscle machines are GONE, and the future will slowly get worse. As the HP/displacement coninues to trend down (and it will) we will hapilly begin to embrace 14sec 0-60 electric/hybrid cars. So, we won't be "forced" into these cars...but the lines will be so blurred we won't mind them.
Last comparison...remember Orwells 1984 and "big brother" watching you (many of you are too young but it's a shame if you haven't read that book). Anyway, everyone was afraid of being monitored by "big brother"....video cameras everywhere, monitoring our every move, financial records of every thing we buy, what our interests are. We werent' going to stand for that....HELL NO, this is America. Well, here we are barely 15 years later and those who swore that would never happen here (including me) have computers and are on the internet leaving cookies everywhere, have WEBCAMS, use CREDIT CARDS, and are now actually DEMANDING security cameras on STREETCORNERS for crissakes to make them "feel safe". So we've gone from saying NO WAY to saying PLEASE MONITOR ME and take my freedoms because the news tells me the world is not safe and that will protect me. We have acutally come to EMBRACE it and CELEBRATE it with shows so boldly named as BIG BROTHER. It is a TV event now. Our government doesn't have to force you to do what they want...they just scare you or narrow your options to actually DESIRE what they want.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Wrath,

Aside from some of the car comments...

sadly, I have to agree with you :(

Even about this war, a war on terrorism? bah...I wonder how many people here know about the oil in that area and the ties between Bush snr. and companies involved in that area, among other things.

its just a way for the government to take away freedoms willingly :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
The fact of the matter is that those cars weren't being sold in the U.S. Market due to marketability. If you're so correct, why is it that the new Viper, new Evolution VII, new 300Z, and new RX-8 are coming out, with rumors of a C6? Sorry, but your arguement dosen't make a whole lot of sense, try again.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
No one wants to have to drive an electric car but if you try and look at this in a positive light.The automobile has basically been the same since about the 40s,Steel-heavy,internal combustion-pollution.I love big loud hotrods but technology is really making leaps and bounds.I would have no problem with a hydrogen powered car or even a small displacement dino car if the performance were there.They are starting to make cars lighter and lighter. Composite materials are making cars stronger and lighter.I don't want a metro but an affordable light weight true sports car may be what the automakers are forced into producing.If the base 3000 was composite/carbon or even alluminum/carbon combo it would post world class numbers.What really scares me is what has been previewed from car shows.Generic cars,Well its a sports car-van truck thing that doesn't do anything well. But it does alot of things really poorly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The only reason that the jap super cars have been cut is due to them not making money (rx7 may be exempt from this)
GM also loses money on almost every car produced exept for suvs and trucks.

Also on another note I hate tree huggers and all but some of the electric concept cars are pretty quick! some of them in the 0-60 in 4 sec range i may have even herd quicker

1 more thing who really knows when we are going to run out of oil i really dont belive a friggen thing those tree huggin POS hippies have to say...........they can take the ozone and shove it up thier ass!:D

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Stealth Turbo said:
Also on another note I hate tree huggers and all but some of the electric concept cars are pretty quick! some of them in the 0-60 in 4 sec range i may have even herd quicker
Take a look that their 60-100MPH times? :p

Most of those cars are quick off the line because the engien doesnt really have to turn itself up, there are no RPM power bands or anything. Once it gets going, it tends to accelerate rather slow...

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
I have to agree with Xenon about the reasons why the 3000, supras, RX-7s and the Z's Died. They didn't die because the car companies are trying to push us into gas efficient vehicles, they died because they cost too much.

The Supra Turbo was 45K in 93, in 96 it was over 50K.(In 97 the price was cut down to 40K)

At the Death of the 3000, the 3000GT cost 45K.

a 96 300ZX Turbo cost 44K in 96!

A 99 Corvette cost 38K in 99. $7000 dollars less than a VR4.

Even an 01 Corvette cost 41K.... still less than a 99VR-4

1 - 16 of 16 Posts