Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to run a ZO6 last night (it's 4am and I'm still at work so I'm bored). To be honest I was a little apprehensive since I only have one DR650 and one 9b and was only running 15psi (no propane). Well it was nice and cold (think it was 25-30) ... and the guy driving was pretty young which was nice. With this setup I've run a [email protected] ... but I wasn't sure what tune the car was in now or how I would do.

Well I pulled up next to him with a nice long stretch of highway out before us. I motioned for us to run and he nodded so we both downshifted. We started right around 65 and I was in 3rd. After 3 beeps we went. He immediately jumped half a car on me. Anyhow at that point I was pretty sure he would just keep walking away from me ... but once my car got it's breath I started to slowly (painfully slowly) pull back on him. By the time I shifted to 4th I had half a car on him and when I cut out at 130 his front bumper was at my back bumper.

Needless to say I was pretty happy with the result. I know ZO6's are very fast from a roll and my car is nowhere near top shape so when I was able to pull him I was pretty happy. I can't wait to get the other DR650 back on and then I should go looking for a Viper or two ... mmm. That's my next target. I can really damage these cars from a stop ... but from a roll is what I'm looking for. After the viper I want a BPU supra. mmm.

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
Great work. I would like to see what you would have done to him at a stop light.

·
Ex-Owner
1,284 Posts
damn son! one 650 and one 9b?!?! at only 15.xpsi?! i can't wait to get my setup in. :evil4:

·
Resident Street Racer
5,606 Posts
good way to represent the 3/s, thats amazing, i never knew 650's would make such an impact, even from a roll!!! soon, we wont have to take shit from anyone saying we got no topend.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matt's turbos rule. To be fair this was the closest race I've ever had from a roll. I've had a tighter race from a stop (lost by 1 bumper ... about 6 inches) ... but from a roll this was nuts. We probably covered half a mile or so during the race but I pulled maybe 30 feet on him in that distance. Talk about crazy.

Anyhow I must now say when people compare cars from a roll they typically use trap speeds. I think this is bogus ... since I've noticed in my car and other cars trap speed is highly dependant on blowing your launch . I've netted 3-5 more MPH with a shitty launch than with a great launch and I've seen the same thing in friend's cars. I've seen supras run 15's at 110+ but then bolt on some drag radials and run low 13's at 106-109. My friend's 383 camaro runs solid [email protected] but when he fucks his launch he's hit a [email protected]

Bascially the more you spin them the higher your trap goes ... so considering a ZO6 can typically run 111-114 and I can run about 110-111 ... yet I can still pull one from a roll ... I am not so intimidated by the high trap speeds anymore.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Damn.....that makes me want to race my friend. He has a 2002 yellow Z06. Slammed to the ground with 19 inch rims new exhaust and some other mods. Awsome car. He would prob rape me but if you beat that car i might be able to at least keep up with him.

·
Ultimate Senior Member
889 Posts
Not an expert by any means but with the stock 9bs you wont have a ghost of a chance in beating the z06 or hanging with one. the 9bs are TOO small!!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
once i get my fuel pump and 500cc injectors put on. Im going to the dr500's. You think i could take him then?

·
Ultimate Senior Member
889 Posts
Not an expert by any means but with the stock 9bs you wont have a ghost of a chance in beating the z06 or hanging with one. the 9bs are TOO small!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nice Kill! I always wondered how I would do against a Zo6 or viper from a roll. I run around 17.5psi and I think it would be close. I will say from reading kill stories from all turbo forums it does seem that turbos cars seem to have an advantage on the street from a roll. I've read many stories where a turbo car will pull a n/a on the street even though the n/a has better 1/4 mile times and trap mph at the track. I don't know why but since I have a turbo car it's good news.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We (the F.I. world) need RPMs to make those turbos spin up, so if you are already in gear and can get those RPMs right away, you have the advantage that you don't from a stand still. Not saying you can't spool up at a launch (especially all you AWD guys!), but it's much easier from a rolling start. The N/A guys have a bit of the same with their powerband, but being an ex-Camaro driver, I can tell you that the V8 low end torque more than makes up for it at a launch. Just my experience, hopefully I didn't just make an ass out of myself. :D

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
WutHaveIDone said:
We (the F.I. world) need RPMs to make those turbos spin up, so if you are already in gear and can get those RPMs right away, you have the advantage that you don't from a stand still. Not saying you can't spool up at a launch (especially all you AWD guys!), but it's much easier from a rolling start. The N/A guys have a bit of the same with their powerband, but being an ex-Camaro driver, I can tell you that the V8 low end torque more than makes up for it at a launch. Just my experience, hopefully I didn't just make an ass out of myself. :D
someone correct me if im wrong, but i dont think you can build boost on the line if youre a 5 speed. i think the car has to be under load to make boost. i could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Great run! Now I really want to run my car against yours on a roll and see how my 15Gs and extra weight will do.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
i think the car has to be under load to make boost. i could be wrong though.
You can. :) There are ways. But if you are just revving at a light you don't make boost but with a quick spooling turbo you can get some pretty good punch right away off the line once you add a load. But you can use certain parts. I know the phillips two step allows for a turbo car to floor the gas and build about 5-6psi on the line. Then you launch at a set RPM (even if you have it floored). It can create some very fast 60' times. I believe the MSD DIS 4 allows for boost from the line as well.

An auto can brake boost and make boost at the line too.

By the way, nice kill. From what you say, I don't doubt your car at all. Now get both turbos and crank the boost and waste that shit :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
vr-4wannabe said:

someone correct me if im wrong, but i dont think you can build boost on the line if youre a 5 speed. i think the car has to be under load to make boost. i could be wrong though.
It's just that to make boost, you have to have the throttle butterfly open or there is nowhere for the boost to go so it can't build, and you can't do that at a stand still or you will obviously redline your engine...bad juju. However, if you have a rev-limiting distribution, as WeaponX was talking about I believe, you can leave it floored (this is how the god-awfully boosted drag cars get their full boost at launch) and not worry about over-revving. This is one of the (very VERY few) advantages I have in the HOnduh is that I do have a factory rev-limiter so the ECU takes care of my heavy foot which is how I can shift the way I do (I was a little scared to do it with my roommate's VR-4!). Unforutnately under boost, the factory rev-limiter tends to run lean for us in the lower echelons of the racing world. Chock another one on the Honduhs suck list...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.