Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1998 3000GT VR4 AWD TT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my VR4 running but I honestly think I have the wrong oil in the car. The car dealership (that couldn’t get it running) put 5W-20 full synthetic in which I believe is to thin… here’s what it sounds like. So This evening I’m going to switch to do a oil change 10W-30 or 10W-40. YouTube Video below

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
16,067 Posts
FWIW, I always ran this:

But I found it just as important (or more) to use a VERY GOOD oil filter, either K&N or a Mobile 1 filter.

To keep any lifter tic at bay I would pre-charge my filter with this:

I ran 2 cars for over 150,000 miles with this, with ZERO issues.

Just my .02

Bob.

Reactions: SSN Sailor

·
16,067 Posts
Robot or Human?
They're just links to Walmart.
WTF?

Bob.

·
Registered
1998 3000GT VR4 AWD TT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really appreciate that Bob. Also, I figured they were links. Walmarts links are just weird like that. So now, I just gotta change my oil and check for leaks AGAIN. But hopefully she’ll stop pissing oil 😂 & I can test drive her soon. But I hear the turbos & at least she runs… so I’m happy 😆

·
16,067 Posts
From what I could hear in the above video, it sounded pretty nice (I think I spotted a little lifter tick).
I'm happy for you Floyd, just felt bad when you were struggling.
I wish you were closer, I have (BNIB) a K&N and a Mobil 1 oil filter I would give you (for next to nothing) just to get you started. (the K&N alone is almost $20 these days and the Mobil 1 I'm sure would be the same)

Bob.

·
16,067 Posts
His leaks were on the rear turbo oil return to the pan.....I think he has it all but solved...

BTW, the reason I suggested the K&N and the Mobile 1 filters, is because they have anti-drain back valves in them.....

Bob.

Reactions: Paul H.

·
Registered
186 Posts
His leaks were on the rear turbo oil return to the pan.....I think he has it all but solved...

BTW, the reason I suggested the K&N and the Mobile 1 filters, is because they have anti-drain back valves in them.....

Bob.
Hey I have been using the oem Mitsubishi, I am pretty sure from cherry hill or some place like that. Do I need to stop using those and go to Mobil 1? I am only using the oem one because in my service manual it says to use an oem high psi/performance oil filter and I really felt like I only had that one option..am I wrong here?

·
16,067 Posts
Wish I could answer you, as I've never used OEM and have no idea about their construction.
When I was growing up (and OLD) here, I learned from the senior member's posting about the importance of that anti-drain back thing.
Seemed logical to me, and I had no oil issues in my cars.
Oil filters weren't as expensive back then, but it made good sense to me to spend a little more on the things that were important.
My Stealth had almost 200K on it, no noises and no oil issues.
The Spyder had 120K, again no noises and no oil issues.

Why switch a winning combination?

Bob.

·
Science, bitch!
1992 VR4
873 Posts
Hey I have been using the oem Mitsubishi, I am pretty sure from cherry hill or some place like that. Do I need to stop using those and go to Mobil 1? I am only using the oem one because in my service manual it says to use an oem high psi/performance oil filter and I really felt like I only had that one option..am I wrong here?
I seriously doubt there is any reason not to use an OE filter from the dealership. However, I also seriously doubt that no equal or better options are available. I like PurolatorOne, Mobil1, K&N, and WIX personally. Lots of great discussions of oil filters at Bobistheoilguy.

·
Registered
1998 3000GT VR4 AWD TT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I could hear in the above video, it sounded pretty nice (I think I spotted a little lifter tick).
I'm happy for you Floyd, just felt bad when you were struggling.
I wish you were closer, I have (BNIB) a K&N and a Mobil 1 oil filter I would give you (for next to nothing) just to get you started. (the K&N alone is almost $20 these days and the Mobil 1 I'm sure would be the same)

Bob.
thanks bob, I’m definitely interested in the filters. Lmk when you can send them to me. Abd I found the oil leaks onewas the rear turbo. The main one was the oil pan, which was extremely loose some how

·
Registered
1998 3000GT VR4 AWD TT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks
Where are you leaking oil? The viscosity likely has nothing to do with the leaks...old seals are your culprit.

My oil leaks were the oil pan & my return from the rear turbo, I believe I got it handled. I’m doing a leak check in the am & going for a test drive! I definitely gotta switch oils tho I can’t do the ticking noise. 😂

·
16,067 Posts
Did you not see that WASP nest up in there? LOL

Good work!

Bob.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts